Lulu Belle

the pads (?) on my dog's paws are rough. Should I be putting something on them, and if so, what?

Asked by Lulu Belle on May 15th 2008 Tagged paws in Grooming

Best Answer

While I agree that baby shampoo isn't great for dogs, I've heard of nesoprin and vaseline used on chapped pads for years and I know the people who have recommended and tried it aren't morons. I have even tried it myself on a dog. LOL.

I would recommend neosporin if the pads are truly chapped since that works well to moisturize and also keep bacteria at a bay so the pads don't get infected. One caution: Do this while you can supervise the dog so that the neosporin can't be licked off.

That said, roughness on the pad is completely normal. The degree to which is debateable, but if they seem irritated, raw or rougher than they normally seem, definitely have them checked out at the vet.

Could be that you're noticing something for the first time about your dog, or there's been some trauma from a rough surface to the pads.

Rarely, some medical conditions cause sore, irritated and very chapped pads, but they are almost always accompanied by other symptoms.

Hope that help!

Jack answered on May 16th.

Answers

I don't think so. My dog's paws are like that.

A dog's paw pads are supposed to be rough- it protects their feet from thorns and gravel. But sometimes their pads will get dry, cracked, and hard.

Before your dog goes to bed, spread some Vaseline on her pads to keep her feet moisturized.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI

Abby & Shadow's get real bad in the wintertime here in WI. You can use vaseline or we like to treat them once in a while and take them to PetCo for the entire grooming experience!

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI answered on 5/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lily

I bought some human heel ointment for Lily last Nov after she had been lost and running for 3 days. I couldn't get any Musher's ointment locally and it seemed similar. Bag Balm would have worked, too.It seemed help return them to a more normal state. My heeler/Aussie had harder pads than my other dogs. I just thought it was a breed thing. I wouldn't want them too soft. Lily lopes 7 or 8 miles a day now and we will start biking as soon as the flowers are in. If her pads are soft, they will get sore.
I would leave well enough alone unless she seems to be having discomfort - which Lily was when I found her after her misadventure.

Lily answered on 5/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

i work in grooming and I wouldn't support using vaseline or a human product on any dog. maybe it is "ok" - but a dog is entirely different biologically. dogs have a different ph balance than humans, that is why you should always use pet shampoo for a dog. anyone who tells you (even if it is a vet) to wash your dog with baby shampoo or something is a moron.

as far as the pads . . if the pads are too dry they could crack and make them bleed. there's something called PAW RUB, you can buy it at petsmart or something. occasional use will keep them healthy. i imagine that your labbie is active and you take her on concrete or other terrain that has worn down her pads. you don't need to have her feet be baby-soft, but the normal leathery texture of a dog's foot. you can also check the inside of the pads to see if there's any debris or matting too.

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

Dogs paws are supposed to be rough. It protects and keeps them from getting cut.

What I do with Odie though is I don't want him tracking dirt into the house so I keep an old towel at the door that I wipe his feet off with every time he goes outside

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 5/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

dogs pads are usally rough, but a soothing cream or lotion can make it a bit more comfy