Blue

The Best Bone

What's the best bone to give your dog?

I always give my dogs the dry white bones that they can just chew on constantly every day until its chewed every Christmas...

But is there a different bone i can buy besides just the plain old ones i get every Christmas for them??

Asked by Blue on Nov 30th 2010 Tagged drywhitebones in Treats

Answers

If you are talking real bones, the best answer is none at all. Many pet owners here will disagree, but I trust the FDA more, www.fda.gov The service dog schools we have raised puppies for also forbid real bones.

I would suggest Nylabones. They come in many more interesting shapes, rings, ''Y'', knots, dinosaur shaped ones, real bone shaped, and maybe some things I forget. There are also Gummibones and Flexibones that are softer. They don't last as long. I have had a puppy destroy a good sized one in an hour, but they do very well for some dogs.

You won't find much of the more interesting stuff on the shelf at Petsmart. You have to go on line.

There's many good bones that you can give your dog. I do not recommend rawhide chews because they are bad for the dog and dangerous.

Here are some companies you can check out for bones -

www.merrickpetcare.com

www.nylabone.com

Any good organic bones are good for dogs.

Sprite

First of all, does your dog eat the bones, or just the meat off of them? The article that Aster posted basically addresses the dangers of swallowed bones. If your dog is like mine, he just chews the meat off of the bones and will occasionally gnaw on the bare bones, but doesn't try to eat them whole. If this is the case, try beef bones. These are uncooked, do not splinter, and dogs love them.

You can also get bully sticks for your dog. These are available at some pet stores, and online.

An alternative for bones are Nylabones. These are plastic, flavoured chews. Nylabone also offers edible chews. I personally do not like Nylabones, because they get chewed up quite fast and are really expensive.

Remember, never feed your dog rawhide!

Sprite answered on 11/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

I like to give my dog leftover bones from a local slaughterhouse. These are raw and have a lot of meat left on them, he gnaws one for hours until it's just a little nub. While some owners don't like to give their dogs real bones (for reasons Aster mentioned) raw bones are less likely to break into long pointy splinters that can puncture the stomach. The other advantage of raw meaty bones (RMBs) is that they help clean the teeth as well as give the dog something to do.

I am not anti-rawhide either. It just depends on it your dog is a chewer or a gulper. my dog is a careful chewer and works off dainty bits of rawhide instead of trying to swallow big chunks. The danger of rawhide is if the dog swallows a large piece and it swells up in the stomach and causes a blockage. I think if it's in small bites it's okay, after all dogfood swells up when wet too.

I have a feeling you mean rawhide bones, right?

I don't recommend rawhide, I've read it expands in the stomach, but there are other similar products. I do agree with the Nylabone suggestion.

As far as real, actual bones, I feed RMBs (raw meaty bones) on a regular basis.
Cooked bones: Not a good idea. With the moisture drained out of them, they can splinter and puncture a dog's digestive system.

Raw bones: They're fine AS LONG AS:
1. They ave plenty of meat and/or skin on them
2. Are not huge, like most beef bones, because huge bones can chip a tooth
3. They are large enough that your dog has to chew on them and cannot gulp them down
4. You supervise!

Franny

Hi I would try here www.organicbullies.com as you look for treats, bones and chews. These guys have reasonably priced all natural chews and bones that are safe for the dog and its digestive system.

We switched over to here about 3 months ago because they are a "green" company and sell nice product. We used raw bones for awhile but they caused problems with Franny's diet.

Elizabeth

Franny answered on 12/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

if your dry white bone is cooked those are tooth wreckers. my dog has a broken tooth because one of my kids gave her a bone not knowing.
I would suggest a black rubber kong toy. You can stuff them for the dog to start liking them. Or like my dog , she loves them because they are rubber and they feel good on her gums.
Cooked bones will fracture teeth and before you know it the teeth start to fall apart slowly and then you have a big dental bill.

Monnie

We use Deer or Elk Antlers..they don't splinter and are typically safe.

Monnie answered on 12/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maverick

Have you tried the sterilized femur bones from Petsmart or Petco? We love them! They last forever and don't splinter so they are safe!

Maverick answered on 12/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Phoebe

We don't give our dogs bones at all! Phoebe (Rottweiler) enjoys elk antlers and for a quick chew, a jumbo bully stick. Never give rawhide, in fact I think it should be banned along with a lot of other junk foods out there that are recommended for our canine friends!

Phoebe answered on 6/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sailor Smith AKA Gizmo

I buy the 3-4 inch real filled bones at PetSmart & after Sailor eats the treat out, I fill with some peanutbutter. My daughter rescued bassethounds and 1 of her dogs was operated on 5 times due to nylabones that caused an obstruction. Always observe what your pet is chewing on.

Sailor Smith AKA Gizmo answered on 6/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer