Taking Specky to the dog park? Or take Oreo to the dog park?

I might take Specky to the dog park, he has not been tested out with dogs, but if he see's a dog through the fence he attacks them. Is it safe to take him to the dog park? When I took him on a walk there was a collie running around loose and he just went right by it, the collie was standing right in front of him to. Is it safe to take him to the dog park? When I take Oreo to the dog park he will follow me around every where I go, but he loves other dogs and loves to play with them, he gets very scared sometimes when I go the the dog park. He will hide under my legs and hunch down and turn his head around. He is the only dog at the park who is not having fun and it makes me nervous because he is the only dog not playing there. How can I make him feel more comfortable?

Asked by Member 824516 on Sep 5th 2009 Tagged dogparks, makingmydogcomfortable, whatdoshoulditake in U.S. Northeast

Answers

The dog park is not the place to find out how your dogs will do with other dogs...My dogs are great at th dog park & I wouldn't appreciate someone bringing a dog in that they weren't sure of...JMO.

He sounds miserable at the dog park.
Why make him do something he doesn't want to this will only make matters worse. It can also increase behaviors stemming from his fear as he is hiding and hunched down in fear.

Katie

Both Specky and Oreo could benefit from working with a trainer or behaviorist before you take them to the dog park. See www.k9techsupport.com for an article on how to find a reputable trainer. Dog parks are great for dogs that are well socialized, and can be good for dogs who are working on their social skills, as long as their owner is wise and alert to any signs of problems before they occur.

Read The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D. for photos and explanations of dog body language, as well as descriptions of how she uses her own dogs in working with clients' dogs.

Katie's trainer has a mentor dog who helps her assess other dogs' levels of fear, aggression, and other issues. Katie herself has been in this role a few times, as she is calm and non-reactive around other dogs.

The most important way to keep dogs from attacking each other is to give them plenty of space, and NO leashes. This will help them stay calm. Good luck!

Katie answered on 9/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Not all dogs need or want to go to dog parks. If your dog is not enjoying it, or if the dog is trying to start a fight with other dogs why would you even take it there?
If you like the idea of a dog park you could go yourself without a dog and enjoy visiting with the dogs there.

Instead of a dog park, take your dogs out on the trails or beach and let them run around in an uncaged area.
I don't trust dog parks. I've seen too many people bring dogs who shouldn't be there, but they think their Fluffy is just playing, when in reality their Fluffy is a bully or aggressive. But, no one says anything and the dog park becomes a scary place for other dogs.
When I've been to the trails, most people who go there have dogs who have really good recall skills and aren't bullies or aggressive.
My dog doesn't do well at dog parks and one of the reasons is the fence. I don't think he likes the feeling of boundries and he gets a little more worked up than if we're on the trails.
Listen to your dog. He's giving you clear signals on what makes him happy and what doesn't. You don't want to ruin his experience with dogs in general so you should probably avoid the dog parks with him.
Try a different environment. Dog parks create clusters of dogs sniffing and can be intimidating.