Stuffed Toys he won't rip apart?

My 11 month old lab loves to chew (of course). He likes his bones and his kong but goes nuts for a stuffed toy. He'll prance around with it and throw it up in the air for himself. Any suggestions for stuffed toys that he won't rip apart in 10 minutes? I've tried the AKC and CKC made toys (thinking that they would have stronger stitching) but they don't tend to last much longer than anything else.

Asked by Member 798655 on Jan 30th 2009 Tagged toy, lab, strong in Toys

Answers

All stuffed toys get ripped up eventually. I could be wrong now, but I doubt that there's a stuffy out there that won't break.

Bianca

I can't think of any stuffed toy that is indestructible, but if you are looking to save money, you can get a lot of cheap stuffed animals at second hand stores or garage sales. Bianca rips hers apart in just a few minutes too, but at least we only spent 50 cents on them. We've also opened them, removed the stuffing, and given her just the empty "shell," which she loves just as well.

Bianca answered on 1/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

I've tried everything, and there's nothing that Miss Buddie the Wonder Dog with the Jaws of Death can't tear up. Even the Kong stuffies are toast in 10 minutes.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I tried a stuffed toy that promised to be super strong and withstand heavy duty. Well, it lasted all of 5 minutes and that was the last time I bought a stuffed toy.
You're going to have to stick to the heavy duty rubber toys or nylon bones for chew toys.
My living room is littered with a large Kong torn in half, A tire/tug toy that has been chewed in half, plastic chew toy torn in half and another large Kong chewed up. I just discovered that they make an extra strong Kong for extra strong jaws. He can't even sink his teeth into it. Yeah.
It is rather cute though when a dog is prancing around with a stuffed animal in their jaws and they tuck their chin in and look up at you with those soft eyes. Yep. That's cute. Too bad those of us with chewers don't get to see that.

I agree with all the other posters as to the life expectancy of toys, but I've noticed the more I walk Grady, the less he tears up his toys. This may also work with your dog. And it never hurts to reinforce your bond with your dog, which structured walking does.

Challenge is always a good thing, too. Train him to do the normal stuff, sit, stay, come... but you might also teach him a task or tasks like retrieving, obstacle coursing, carrying things in a dog vest, sniffing things out (hide and seek with the nose), etc.

Exercise and challenge are gifts which can't be destroyed.

Good luck! Have fun!

Jasper

Like others said, no stuffy is indestructible (unfortunately right? he he it would save us puppy parents some money!)
You can try to local dollarstore! Often they'll even have the squeaky stuffies! Just double check that there arent any little pieces for eyes or anything that your baby can swallow.

Jasper answered on 2/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Titan

I sell a product called Tuffy's. They have a chew meter to choose the toughness, they are not uaranteed but they are tougher than anything I have seen

Titan answered on 3/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lucy

I second that Tuffy's are a good choice for a really tough stuffed toy. Bamboo stuffed toy are also pretty tough. They sold their line of toys to Fat Cat which is still making them with different designs.

Lucy answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer