Laika

Stopping mild food aggression before it becomes full blown?

My 15 pound Boston Terrier/Chihuahua is only food aggressive when it comes to treats, never with her actual food/food bowl. I am worried that this problem will get worse because my recently adopted Pointer mix is very curious and likes to sniff around and as she is already fearful of people I would hate for one aggressive move on my little dog's part to ruin dogs for her as well.

She is completely fine with me removing treats, doesn't tense or snap or growl but if either of my other dogs so much as enter the same room as her while she has something she begins the cycle, and again it is only with treats not food. She will stop growling if I tell her to, but remains tense regardless. She has never actually bitten either other dog, but has snapped at them before(usually at this point I'm in the room to stop her).

Asked by Laika on Jun 20th 2013 Tagged foodagression, mild, stoppingbehavior, treats in Aggression

Answers

Sandy

A simple answer to your question that involves no training is crate feed only! This method will completely prevent anything bad from happening. Feed both dogs in their crates and only give treats in the crates. If u r using treats to train your pointer do it when your other dog cannot get to it. So in another room with the door closed or in the crate or have one dog inside one outside .

Sandy answered on 6/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Would it help to reward her with something other than treats, like praise or toys?

Give treats only as a reward for your dog's good behavior or obedience. If you're training your Pointer, then make sure he gets his treats by training him alone and then give separate treats for your other dog. You can train them individually first in separate rooms.

Sonny

Since she is a small dog, it would be better to give her 5 tiny, soft treats by hand. Ask for a behavior for each. Exclude the other dogs from these treat moments and give them attention individually also.
For serious chew time, yes, crate or gate. It's just good management.

Sonny answered on 6/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer