Joey

Staying at hotel with your dog?

Any experience staying at a hotel with dog? How did it go? Do I need to tell the management in advance? Is there an extra cost?

Asked by Joey on Nov 26th 2007 in Lodging

Answers

Shinji

You definitely need to make sure that this hotel allows pets. I think the simplest thing to do is call and ask. There should't be any extra cost if the hotel is pet friendly. Personally, I would let the clerk know that I had a dog at check-in. I wouldn't try to hide the dog at a hotel that doesn't allow pets, as you could be asked to leave (probably with no refund), which would be a huge inconvenience, I'm sure.

If your hotel is pet friendly, just make sure to take Joey out to potty often, since he may be disoriented from being in an unfamiliar place. I would also crate him if you're going to be leaving him in the room alone. In addition to the fact that he might be scared, he might take out any anxiety by chewing, peeing, etc.

I've never had any problems staying in a hotel with my dog, but Shinji is a really easy-going, adaptable dog. He went out to potty as normal, slept as normal, and all was well.

Shinji answered on 11/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

When we travel with our pets we always stop at La Quinta Hotel, they take pets and some charge no fee, some charge a small deposit that you get back after you check out.

Moxie

We've stayed at La Quinta, Red Roof, and motel 6's with the pups...

All went very well, we took porta crates for when we were out of the room and had to leave them, but they were well behaved, no barking. We took a couple of their favorite toys and two little doggie blankets that smelled like home. When we were out of the room, we also turned the television on low to cover up and background noise that could have caused them to bark.

These were hotels that accepted animals and each did not have an extra fee, although a couple had a "doggie contract" to sign. Some may have a small fee, or small deposit.

I believe all motel 6's now accept dogs. The others vary by ownership.

Moxie answered on 11/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Lily

We have had both good and bad experiences with dogs in hotels. One charged an extra $50.00 a night for me a little westie!! Some have a flat fee and some don't charge any. Definitely call in advance or check out www.officialpethotels.com for pet friendly hotels wherever you are going!

Lily answered on 11/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

When you're traveling with your dog, you should always call ahead and ask questions before you make your reservations.

Not all hotels allow dogs - most actually don't. Some hotels whose websites say they allow pets don't actually allow them - it's just that the website has not been updated since the policy has changed. So to be 100% sure, always call and ask, THEN make reservations.

Most hotels will charge you an extra fee for bringing your dog. They will also expect that your dog does not bother anyone while you are a guest there - no barking in the room, no bringing the dog down to the breakfast bar with you. They'll also expect that your dog will be contained safely (crated) and will not destroy the room.

I know from personal experience that many Motel 6 and Extended Stay Mariott hotels will allow dogs. Both will require an extra fee to have your pet with you.

Gio

When wanting to travel with your pet, always call ahead to ensure pets are allowed. The exact policy will vary from place to place, though. Some hotels charge fees per dog, have weight or size limits, or limits on how many dogs are staying. Some hotels will only allow pets in smoking rooms.

Ensure you follow the pet policy at your hotel as trouble with one dog can affect us all if a policy change is put in place. Dogs should be leashed whenever out of the room. Pick up after yourself outside, clean up after yourself inside. Dogs need to be quiet and not disturb other patrons.

I would STRONGLY discourage trying to pass your dog off as a service dog. That is dishonest and insulting to people that actually have a valid need for a service dog. Your convenience is no excuse for abusing the system! There are enough hotels that accept pets that you should never have to resort to something so egregious and flagrant!

Gio answered on 11/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Ginger Smiles Primm

Most Holiday Inns are also pet friendly. Its a $30 non refundable fee and the rule is you cant leave them alone. We usualy sneak out to go to a long dinner and its fine. But dont try to sneak into a hotel that does not allow pets cause its so stressfull, dishonest, and you have to go past the lobby 100 times to potty and stuff. We LOVE to travel with our babys and we used to take them to VA beach. Some states and towns are moe pet friendly. I hear San Fran is the best!

Ginger Smiles Primm answered on 11/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC

Definately make sure you find a pet-friendly hotel since many are not. Some hotels do charge a nightly pet fee or a deposit, but not all do. Most hotels don't allow you to leave your dog alone in the room since the dog could destroy property or be a nuisance to other guests. Some hotels will let you leave your dog kenneled in the room while you go somewhere if and only if you leave a contact number.

Risa and I stayed in a Quality Inn not too long ago and had a great experience. Unfortunately, most owners weren't so dilligent about cleaning up after their pets. :(

As for the suggestion about 'certifying' your dog as a service dog just to get it into a hotel, that is ridiculous! There are plenty of hotels that will allow pets to stay. I see absolutely no need to pass off your dog as something it's not just to 'make it easier' to find a hotel. Geez. That just makes life more difficult for people with ACTUAL service dogs when these so-called service dogs cause problems!

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC answered on 11/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Campeche, CGC (in heaven)

We travel a lot and stay at many hotels. Mom likes Choice Hotels and Holiday Inn brand hotels. On both of their websites, you can specify Pet Friendly hotels before you do your search. Also, almost all high-end hotels allow dogs. I guess they figure that if you are staying at a really nice hotel, then you are well travelled and know how to behave yourself.

As a service dog, I find Abby K9's suggestion to PRETEND to be a service dog very offensive and I hope that you don't do it. We service dogs perform specific tasks for our owners. Under the law, a business owner can ask about our service-related tasks. If you do not have any that you perform, you would be ejected (Snuggling with Mom is nice but it's not a task).That would be very embarrassing for your family.It also makes life hard for our parents who have real disabilities

My sister Zamboni travels with us all the time. She is a wonderful pet who does not pretend to be anything else, and still goes everywhere!

Happy Trails

Campeche, CGC (in heaven) answered on 11/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer