Socks

Starting when I was pregnant, my dog has started growling at my older 2 children when they get out of bed at night

My dog is border collie/Bernese mountain dog and we adopted him about a year ago, he is roughly 5 yrs old. He normally never growls at anyone, he is only growling at the children if they get out of bed at night and approach me, regardless of what room I'm in or if I'm sleeping or not. Wondering if this is herding behavior? He also tries to block their access to me, putting himself between me and the child. He does not growl at the baby. He does not do this during the day. I don't know if I should be concerned about this or not. My 6 yr old feeds him, and both girls give him treats.

Asked by Socks on Dec 11th 2012 Tagged growling, kids in Dogs & Kids

Answers

Sonny

He is being protective, as you suspect. But it's not appropriate. Yes, be concerned.

He needs to understand where he fits in the "pack".
Allowing him to guard you must stop. Place him in another room, use gates or a crate if you must.
He may not sleep in a bedroom.

Having your kids feed him is nice, but to be effective the kids must control access to resources, not be a source of a free meal. He must "trade" good behaviors for food. The 6 year old should place him on a sit stay and have him wait while she gets his food, & release when she wants to allow him to eat.

Sonny answered on 12/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer