Spam me with advice on my rescued (dumped in a box at the gas station) 5 week old puppy.

We found him and his sister in a box outside of a gas station the week before Christmas. A clerk at the station took his sister but we ended up with the male. He looks like some sort of hound and has doubled in size in the week and a half since we found him. We took him in to see a vet the day after we found him and she said he looked to be a 4 week old puppy. Food wise for him we are doing ok, he has dry puppy kibble with some wet food, puppy formula and water. We are slowly transitioning to just the kibble with some water over the next couple of weeks. I am not sure at what time we can really start teaching him to not nip. When he does we "yip" (the kids think it hilarious) and if he doesn't quit we put him in his bed and ignore him for a few minutes. Potty training is hit or miss, when he goes on the chux pad or outside we praise him profusely and if he misses we put him on his pad and say "go potty". Does this sound right?

Asked by Member 1080471 on Dec 28th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

You can teach him now. You could even start trying to teach him a trick or something, just remember that puppies have a very short attention spam.

Someone may have some advice to give you about the food, but I don't know much about what kind of food to choose for puppies based on calcium percentages and the like. All I can say regarding it is that the food should also have meat as the number one ingredient.

Sounds like you're doing good overall, though. Have patience with potty training. It's not really hard to do, just seems hard because it can take so much patience.

Sounds like you're doing fine.

If he's having a lot of accidents, you might consider crating or tethering him to you. Dogs are reluctant to eliminate in places they can't avoid stepping in it. (I don't mean crate him all the time, just when you can't supervise him.) The benefit of tethering is that he can't wander off and pee somewhere, so you learn his signal of "I have to go now!"

Another strategy to avoid nipping is to designate a toy that he can bite instead. A chew rope or such. Don't play with him with your bare hands, use the toy instead so he learns to fixate on it. Don't leave this particular toy out for him all the time, only use it when you're around. This can be very helpful for later training too if you have a "reward object" already conditioned.

Ikan

You are doing everything that I would do with a puppy. And it is never to yougn to start training them. Good luck and if you have time. keep me posted on how you are doing with the puppy.

Ikan answered on 12/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer