Maaya

Solutions for thunderstorm anxiety fits

My girl Maaya had just recently started reacting to thunderstorms. She's full force-two paws-digging at the pan in her crate and nudging the crate doors like she's trying to get out. When I go downstaires to check it out, she's panting, drooling (very unusual for her), and super jittery (also uncharacteristic of her). 90% of the time she does this during thunderstorms after midnight, never during the day time or late evening. The other 10% is seemingly random and only during the same time (after we go to sleep). I've tried scolding, taking her potty, ignoring it, giving her peanut butter filled Kong, and giving her a bed. Nothing so far has worked. Letting her sleep out of the crate isn't an option because our other dog will cry if he can't see her -- and he doesn't do well sleeping out of the crate if we were to let them stay out together. They jog twice a week and play all day. I don't believe medicating her will help as I'm a vet tech and haven't seen it work for most dogs. Help?


Asked by Maaya on Jul 31st 2013 Tagged thunderstormthundercratedigginganxietynight in Fears & Phobias
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Sandy

I know people who have success with thunder shirts but u need to put it on tight enough it should not be loose like normal clothes. U can also try playing soothing music.


Sandy answered on 7/31/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Tasha (in memory)

Have you tried a Thundershirt? Two of my friends here in Florida where it rains often swear by them... one with a golden and one with a greyhound. ^_^


Tasha (in memory) answered on 8/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


xena CGC

if you have not tried a thunder shirt try it and put some dirty clothing in the kennel .
have you tried letting her out and see where in the house.
then you will know where she feels safe.

GOOD LUCK WITH MAAYAS PROBLEM


xena CGC answered on 8/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

Get your dog used to the sounds. The most effective approach is to desensitize your dog to certain noises. In most cases, this will help with other sound related issues as well.

There are pre-made soundtracks available, but all you really need is a sound recording of fear-inducing noise. Start by playing it at low intervals while relaxing or interacting positively with your dog. Then, slowly increase the volume over time. Keep in mind that this is not an overnight procedure, so don’t expect your dog to turn over a new leaf immediately. Don’t leave your dog alone with the sound recording on. Remain with them and help them associate the sound with good things.


Member 1166037 answered on 8/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

The Thundershirt is awesome, you can order one here - www.thundershirt.com

Rescue Remedies work great too, you can get them at a health food store. Rescue Remedies are a miracle worker for these type of things.


Member 930032 answered on 8/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer