Shasta

Smelly Dog?

Shasta has been extremely stinky/oily lately. (Yes, he's been to the vet, checked out fine they said)

I'm not terribly concerned as he acts perfectly normal, but I'm just sick of his foul odor. He was inside not 10 minutes, and the whole room stunk! (No it's not a gas or breath problem, it's his fur/skin)

We give him baths about once a month, but his smell comes back within a week.

Our other boy is perfectly fine. He smells okay even if he goes 2mo without bathing.

My ultimate question is this: are there any supplements to improve his foul odor? (He already has skin supplements like raw eggs or fish oil, and brewers yeast)

Again, he's only been smelling bad the past few months...

Asked by Shasta on Nov 28th 2013 in Grooming

Answers

Hi Shasta, happy Thanksgiving! Do you think that (because he is so well taken care of) that any of the supplements could cause odor, like garlic? make a list and bring it to your vet. I am a fan of Whisker City deodorizing & grooming wipes at PSmart. The smells are not heavy but pleasant. I have a long hair that is prone to dingleberries when a stray poop piece gets stuck in her fur (which must smell worse than your guy!) I remove the nasties with one wipe and then scrub with a clean one, and usually the odor is gone. There are other brands of wipes like Nature's Miracle, but I started with a trial size of different smells and found one we both could tolerate. I also like Viva La Dog Spa grooming spritz. It's non-offensive and a little fru fru, but does the job in masking light stink. Finally, I'm a fan of all things made by Davis brand. They are economical and I'm sure you can find many products such as shampoos, conditioners, wipes and sprays to concentrates. Best, Tasha

Becca

Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.
Cheep, gentle, works.
Rinse well.

Becca answered on 11/28/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

What you are describing usually results from TOO MUCH fat in the diet, not too little. All this oil builds up in the hair follicles where it actually becomes rancid and ends up stinking.
If you are feeding a good balanced diet I would stop the eggs, fish oil, AND brewers yeast. Some dogs are "easy keepers" and will do best with LESS fats and oils in their diets...too much and they will build up and cause an oily skin and odor. This is especially true with the sporting dogs and the hounds who naturally produce more skin oils than other breeds such as poodles and soft coated breeds.
Bathing in a good shampoo that cuts the oil, Dawn is highly recommended, should help remove some of this excess oil from his skin and hair follicles. You will probably get the sames results as you would by purchasing the Rx anti-lipid shampoos from the vets, and, as the previous poster noted, it is much cheaper. Be sure to rinse well. Coupled with a diet with less added fats should improve his coat.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 11/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Do you dry your dog completely after bathing? Dry her off before you set them loose in the home. This will help keep that pungent smell down and probably be more comfortable for your pup than air drying. Also, your dog might be playing on wet surface or ground. Keep her away from wet areas.