Small Sweet Stray Dog Needs Help: Does someone need a companion dog?

This morning, after the storm, I found a small dog that appears to have been abandoned.

The dog is about the size of a terrier and seems to be very quiet and gentle.

I gave it dog food and water and it is now in my backyard.

The dog will need a bath and a routine veterinary check.

I believe this dog to be highly adoptable and an ideal companion for a family or individual.

I don't have the finances to take care of a dog.

Please contact me as soon as possible -- someone will love to have this dog.

Most respectfully,

Victor G. Jackson
202 Green Meadow Blvd.
San Antonio, TX 78213-3710
email: admin@pn2010.net

Asked by Member 1101131 on Mar 20th 2012 Tagged nodogtags, stray, sweet, bath, please, small, gentle, highlyadoptable, idealcompanion in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

This is an international website, based in San Francisco, CA. Most users are nowhere near you.

Are you sure this dog was abandoned? Dogs often get frightened during storms and run away. Have you checked for "lost dog" fliers or questioned your neighbors? Have you had the dog scanned for a microchip ID? (Vets and shelters can do this, no charge.) Have you reported him found to Animal Control? Someone may be looking for him right now.

AFTER you do all that, try listing him in your local classifieds, like craigslist, newspapers, or ebayclassifieds to find a new home.

Have you contacted local animal control, area shelters and local vets and given them a description of this dog and had them check their lost dog files??? Has she been taken to a vet or a shelter to be scanned for a microchip?
Have you placed a found ad in the local paper and put up posters at area pet shops and vet offices?
Most likely, this dog HAS an owner who is frantically looking for their dog and who deserves a chance to get their dog back.
Before you place the dog, you do need to check the legal requirements for claiming a stray dog in your state. Most states have a certain number of days, usually 10 business days, whereby the dog MUST be kept available for the owner to claim it and you cannot place it in a new home prior to that. You are also required by law to post notice that you have the dog in certain places as well.