Skinny shepherd, wont put on weight

Hi all!! I have a 2 year old female long haired shepherd who is scary skinny. She is 28 inches at the shoulder but only 65 lbs. You can feel all of her ribs and hip bones. Her coat is still glossy and she doesn't have any stool issues. Her energy level is good and she is quite playful. I have had blood and fecal work done on her and both came back good. She eats Blue Buffalo Wilderness, though it is really hard to get her to eat her recommended daily amount. She is free fed and takes fortiflora (probiotic). Any one else have this issue?

Asked by Member 1144533 on Dec 10th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Seth

Dome dogs are just thin. Just like people, some and eat all they want and never gain anything. I have a male that is like that. He us very thin but he plays with the puppy all day and just burns it off. You could try a change in food and see what that does for her

Seth answered on 12/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Leo

Like the other poster said, just like people some dogs are just thin.

It's good that you have had blood work and stool samples taken, but I'm a little surprised your vet hasn't advised you what to do about the weight issue. You can try switching specifically to a high-fat, weight-gain kibble.

Some dogs also just plain don't like kibble. My dog started dropping weight like crazy after he finished his growth spurts because he had less of an appetite and HATES kibble. The only way I could get him back to a healthy weight was to switch him to meat (raw diet or prey-based diet, it really doesn't matter), which he eats very happily for the most part. I also leave kibble out for him 24/7 for when he feels like taking a few mouthfuls as a snack. He's still on the thin side, but not unhealthly so.

Leo answered on 12/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

At 2 years old, she is at the end of GSD puppyhood, she may gain a few pounds in the next year. As long as she is healthy and active, don't be too concerned.

Pepper is a GSD mix and was super skinny until age 3.

Free feeding dry kibble is about the same as if I offered you all the total cereal you want… but nothing else???
BORING!

Wilderness is 410 calories a cup….Evo red meat is 527. A switch to the higher calorie food will put on some weight.

Adding wet food or something else to make meals more interesting may get her to eat more.