Siberian Husky at apartment

Can I keep a Siberian Husky in an apartment, if I provide her the sufficient exercise she needs daily?

Asked by Member 870986 on Aug 25th 2009 Tagged apartment, siberianhusky, exercise in Siberian Husky

Answers

Do you already have the dog and know what sufficient exercise it needs?

I have to ask this because everyone has a different idea of what enough is. And Husky's have ideas of their own. Thay are smart and energetic and prefer being outside to anything in the world.

If you have not selected a dog yet, choose one that suits your lifestyle well and you will both be very happy!

Yes, as long as the dog's physical and mental exercise needs are being met by plenty of walks/runs, training time, and so on.

Also, make sure there are no size or breed limits at your apartment building.

Yes making sure the apartment allows it is important. Which Husky? Dogs are individuals. I have a friend that lived in an apartment with a Husky that was her dog guide for years. To make sure it works, you might try a rescue rather than a puppy.

One of the best sources for dogs with a predictable personality is the rescue dogs. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home to be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may find a rescue near you starting at www.akc.org The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year. www.petfinders.com has many great dogs too. Also there is an adoption page here.

Fritz

I lived in an apartment before my person rescued me.

I got really bored and tore things up and chewed on things. The person who owned me retaliated by putting me in a plastic kennel 12 to 14 hours a day. I was so unhappy I had to take psychotropic medication and I still destroyed things.

When my person got me, she noticed claw marks inside the kennel where I had tried to dig my way out. I also had to learn to ask to go out because I had learned to just hold it until I peed on myself if I wasn’t taken out. I also had a bad leak due to a weak sphincter muscle, I believe caused by the excessive kenneling.

The kennel is gone and I am better now, but please don’t put another of my kind in an apartment unless you are willing to take her for a walk before breakfast, let her out at lunch time, take her for a walk after dinner and spend quality time with her.
Fritz.

Fritz answered on 8/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't have a husky, but I do have a big dog and I don't have a backyard. Only a back deck, so my dog doesn't have the luxury to go outside when he wants. So, knowing that I didn't have the ideal situation, I walk him for 45 minutes first thing in the morning. He gets a 20 minute walk around noon and then if I get home early he gets a quick 15 min walk before dinner. Then after dinner I take him for either an hour and a half walk or an hour + play session at a park.

I know I can't skimp on his exercise-for a few reasons-it's not his fault I brought him into my life. I chose him and he shouldn't be victim to this situation. Other reason--all those walks make him behave gorgeously inside. He is such a good boy.

So, if you do get the husky you have to promise him and yourself that no matter the weather or how tired you are you have to take him out at least three times a day. He needs to run and be a spaz for at least one of those walks.

Lily

I have a siberian husky and a pomeranian in two bedroom condo. I am lucky that I live in a very dog friendly city where there are many dog parks, hiking trails and dog beaches around for my dogs to get a lot of exercise. Mine does well in an apartment because we take her out a lot and make sure she has enough to do (not just physical stimulation but mental as well) but i do know a lot of people that have huskies in apartments and some do okay because they take their dogs out A LOT and do urban mushing or running with them...BUT there are quite a few who do not do well..they have destroyed the apartment because the parents don't do enough to make sure they are getting enough exercise. i would definitely try looking for another breed or really evaluate your life to make sure you can dedicate the time and money to keep a husky. when we can't be home for a long time we take her to an outdoor day care where she plays with other dogs and swims all day then take her for a walk at night

Lily answered on 8/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zoe

Great Question!! I am an Alaskan Malamute, which share many of the same qualities as huskies as far as exercise requirements and bad habits. I wrote several articles on this blog below to address this very question because I've had a lot of success living in an apartment. Maybe they will help answer some of your questions :) The links look the same but they are too 4 different topics on the same host location. Starting out right, exercise, crate training, Apartment Lifestyle. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

theepicjourney.hubpages.com

theepicjourney.hubpages.com

theepicjourney.hubpages.com

theepicjourney.hubpages.com

Zoe answered on 8/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They are usually not recommended for apartment lives because they howl, they can be destructive and they need a lot of exercise both physical and mental.

Siberian Huskies should be walked at least 3 times daily (once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once in the evening). They need a job or some type of activity such as weight pulling, sledding, cart pulling, agility, flyball and obedience training.

Siberian Huskies need plenty of socialization and training.

Siberian Huskies are escape artist, they can scale any fence and dig under any kind of fence. Usually, you can't keep them contained inside a fence because they'll just escape.

I would not recommend leaving them alone, unsupervised for long periods of time because they can become destructive and howl.

They do shed a lot which is completely normal for a Husky. They need to be brushed a couple times day (I recommend brushing them with the FURminator).

Anyways, good luck!

I hope this helps! Are you ready to be surprised?

I have 2 Huskies at home, I do not have a backyard and all 3 of us live in a one bedroom apartment together. I have had my younger husky for much longer, he is 10 months this February and I have had him for the whole 10 months. His name is Dasher, he is pure break Siberian husky. He is absolutely the best companion ever, he loves to play and is very energetic. He requires a lot of attention but because my love for animals is so big we are very close me and him. he has not shown any signs of not being happy, or jealousy or weakness. he is very active and loves to be around me. I bring him for walks daily and we do a lot of exercise together. I recently rescued a second Husky, although she is 1 yr and a half and is not pure bread. She is a mix of Husky and German shepherd. Her name is Riley, she is almost the opposite of Dasher, she is very calm and collective, she loves to cuddle. They are both excellent and very happy in my apartment.