Shouldn't Animal Shelters have paid professionals giving away dogs, and not convicted felons doing community service?

Asked by Member 875745 on Sep 14th 2009 in The Adoption Process

Answers

Not all of them have convicted felons working for them. In fact, in the US at least, most of them probably don't. Most of the shelter staff are regular citizens like you and I. At least such is the case in the shelter I volunteer at.

At any rate, I can't see it being feasable that a shelter could afford to hire a staff of professionals. Many can barely afford to pay their current staff.

Oh, and in my last post, I did not mean that all shelter workers whine at breeders. The ones at the local shelter, in fact, have encouraged me in to become a reputable breeder. I've just met several shelter workers elsewhere who get upset at me for wanting to breed dogs.

cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

Quincy - CGC

I doubt that the felons are allowed to do anything but the dirt work ie: cleaning the kennels, scooping yard poop, hauling bags of food and litter. Things like that. It could also depend on the felony. I'm sorry you had a bad experience at a shelter but you shouldn't write them off. If you had to face what many shelter workers do everyday you might have an off day or two too. Talk to whoever is in charge of the shelter you visited and tell them about the incident but be nice. Remember you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Quincy - CGC answered on 9/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Most do have a small staff but also rely heavily on volunteers who donate their time and effort, as well as some people doing community service. Most people who are doing community service are not murderers and so on, most are serving for smaller crimes. And like another poster said they are mostly doing the 'dirt work'.

I'm not sure where this notion that shelters have all sorts of money to throw around comes from -- most animal control-run shelters are extremely underfunded and overworked and do the best they can with what they have.

Most shelter survive on donations of time and money. Free labor is never turned away. I have seen many programs where inmates or former inmates and animals benefit from working together. There are several service dog programs that started as prison programs to rescue dogs otherwise scheduled for euthanasia. The trainers are of course receiving training as well.

I personally would love to see Michael Vick assigned to clean kennels and obedience train dogs as payment for his past abuses.

These convicted felons get out of jail at some point and need a place to get back into the real world and the more real life experience they can attain, the better our society is for it.
I wouldn't mind one bit if a convicted felon were to assist me in adopting a dog or cat as long as they were kind to the animals and treated me nicely.
A lot of these guys also work at the local shelters while incarcerated to gain work experience too.
If you don't like convicted felons getting jobs once they get out of prison, then work to change your state laws. But I for one support it because I would hope that they would find a new career rather than going back to the one that got them in trouble to begin with.

Jersey

I just finished watching The Dog Whisperer and he was invited to a female jail in which the women who were there for rehabilitation, were in fact rehabilitating problem dogs. The dogs get a great one on one companionship, and it has shown that after the women have been part of the program, they are less likely to re offend. I know this isn;t your local shelter, but just because they might be convicts, doesnt mean they dont care, or want to help as much as they can.

Jersey answered on 9/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer