Spock

Should you make a dog come inside if they want to stay outside?

Spock would rather spend time out in the yard playing with toys instead of inside playing with toys. When he tires he goes into his dog house that's on the porch next to the screen door. When I try to call him back inside he acts like he would rather stay there. He is a Husky/Samoyd/Malamute/Retriver mix with short thick hair, but is only 4 months old. Is he old enough to spend that much time outside? Should I leave him out till he wants to come in, I'd have to litterally drag him inside and I don't want to have to do that. He comes fine when called every other time. The weather has been rainy and in the 30-40's where I live, and I try not to let the temp in the house get above 70.

Asked by Spock on Jan 3rd 2010 Tagged outside, doghouse, stubborn in Behavior & Training

Answers

Seth

well as long as he has a place he can get into out of the weather, he should be ok. But maybe you would want to make sure there is enough in the dog house to keep him warm. It almost sounds like he is to warm to come in the house. And since he comes when he is called sounds like he is a preety smart boy. I guess i would only force him to come inside if it gets any colder or it is to damp outside. Give him treats or something to come inside and maybe make up a bed for himinside to make him want to come in. The last two puppies i have had started out in the house and moved out into the kennel with all the older dogs on their own. they have 24hour access to be outside but a well heated and cooled room to be in so they are not out in the weather. I didnt mind as long as i knew they could use the dog doors. He should be fine.

Seth answered on 1/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree, as long as he is happy outside, leave him.

Deogie gets warm in the house, so he spents a lot of time outdoors. He will sleep on our porch and wake me in the middle of the night to let him in. I don't get a full nights sleep during the winter. He wakes me around 3 am and then lays his cold furred body against me in bed.
I think as long as Spock is warm, protected, safe and has the option to come in when he chooses, he'll be just fine.

I let my dogs tell me when they want in...Most of the time they don't unless it is too hot.