Should we get an inbred puppy?

We are considering getting a Poodle/Chihuahua mix puppy (free)- however, I found out that his parents are brother and sister. I spoke with one vet that said that first in-line inbreeding isn't terrible, another says it can bring out the best or the worst. I don't know what to do- a friend got one of these puppies from a previous litter and her dog is fine. (I know these people should get their dogs altered!) We would be giving this puppy a wonderful home- much better than where it's coming from- I have 3 children and just don't know if we would be setting ourselves up for future heartache- or missing out on an adorable little puppy. Help! My sister and brother say not to get him- my heart says yes, my head says no,,,,yes!

Asked by Member 702194 on Aug 13th 2008 Tagged inbreeding, adoptingapuppy in Puppies

Answers

Cooper

I would stay away. My biggest question is why are they have multiple litters of puppies if they are not charging a fee, what do they gain from this?

I think whether they are free or you are paying for them, by getting one you are supporting what they are doing. This is not good practice and they have no business breeding their dogs. These are the kinds of people that continue the vast amounts of homeless dogs, sick dogs and dogs put to sleep.

Not only would I not get one of their badly breed puppies, but I would call animal control to check out the situation. If they are breeding and giving these puppies away, they should be stopped. If they are giving them for free, because they don't want to get a health certificate they should be stopped.

If you want a puppy, adopt from a shelter, from petfinder (rescues do get puppies) or going to a qualified breeder that has done testing, shown their dogs and are selling a quality dog. Anything else and it is not respectable.

Cooper answered on 8/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

This is kind of a difficult question to answer. Why are they giving the puppies away for free? Are you 'rescuing' this dog, or will it have a home if you don't take it? By taking their dog, you are supporting their irresponsible breeding habits, but if the dog wouldn't have a home, I could see why you would want to rescue him. I breed purebreds, and rescue ones that aren't, so I understand where you are coming from. Inbreeding is, when done PROPERLY, not a bad thing. Responsible breeders will breed say a father to daughter, but this is only done to BETTER the breed, and really should only be done by responsible PUREBRED dog breeders. It isn't reccomended, but there are people who have done it. Weigh your options here. The dog probably isn't going to be psycho because it's an inbreed, but you have to think about the people who are breeding these dogs. Don't support them just because you want a dog, but if you think the dog would have no home, go with your heart.

Kobe

Inbreding does bring out the best and the worst. If there are any problems, genetic or hereditary, there is a good chance these will come out. Experienced breeders only do this by studying the pedigree and health problems very carefully before attempting these types of breedings. A mut being inbred is a disaster happening. Any slight chance of displasia or many other problems will most likely affect these pups. Run away from this situation as fast as you can. If you ever heard you get what you pay for, here it is. A puppy for free now will most likely cost you thousands in vet bills in the near future. Also, any breeder that doesnt give a health guarantee for over 2 years, there is something wrong.

Kobe answered on 8/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Foxie

I would not get this puppy. Since it was inbred, the puppy might be faced with medical issues that can get costly. And there is no telling what the temperament might be, and you must think of this since you have children in your home. I think puppies can already be a bit difficult, but then when you add in other factors it can get pretty scary.

Foxie answered on 8/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would probably try to steer clear, cause there is a higher than normal chance that recessive and unwanted genes can be passed on since the puppies have been inbred. As long as you are aware there may be future vet bill headaches from poor breeding in the future the decision is up to you. Also note that all "free" puppies are not really free if they could present pretty hefty bills in the future. You don't want you and your family to bond with a puppy who may or may not make it...