Should my entergentic Irish Setter compete in a sport?

I have a 1 year old Irish Setter named Red who can't seem to get enough energy out. He runs and runs around the yard, and I even take him for longer walks than usual, but he still just bounces around and jumps everywhere while inside. I try to play with him daily. He also thinks that he is in charge of all the rest of my dogs. He'll try to make sure that they are in one group all the time as if he is the protector and herder of the pack. So, my question is, do you think it is a good idea if Red competes in a sport such as flyball, disc competition or agility? Or some other sport that involves lots of energy that he will enjoy?

Asked by Member 977595 on Mar 28th 2010 Tagged irishsetter, crazy, sports, energy in Irish Setter

Answers

Dolce

Well, if you think that he is appropriate for agility, then you could sign him up in tournaments. He may be too young to do this but if you think that he is ready and has enough energy, then that could be a good choice. But try it with him first before putting him in tournaments and cmpetitions.

Dolce answered on 3/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

17-18 months is the age to start very low jumps and no prolong jumping you want to wait til the dogs growth palates are closed and then you go very slow in working the dog.
Sports are fun for dogs and even the mature in shape dogs have pulled muscles and injuries.
So I would wait til you are older for one. And then secondly all dogs should have elbow and hip certifications from the OFA before you even start. I have them done at 2 yrs but you can have a preliminary done at 17 months to see if any problems exist for the dog it just would not be fair to jump a dog that is HD.

If you want to do agility, that would be a fine start. It is alot of work for both of you and would be a fun activity to do with your dog. It may take awhile but just start with the simple things and then move up to the harder things like the jumps. My best of luck to you.