Wookie

Should I take her out every 2 hours? How do I stop her from peeing on the carpet?

My puppy can hold up to 9 hours overnight. I take her out to the yard and she does her business but with in an hour or two she decides that she has to pee again on the carpet. I put a pee pad where she usually goes on the carpet. She uses the carpet more than the pee pad.

Asked by Wookie on Sep 23rd 2013 in Puppies

Answers

Becca

Dab a paper towel with her Urine, and set it on the Potty Pad. You could also fold a piece of Fecal Material in a Paper Towel and set it on the pad as well. ie: get the "Potty" scent in the right place.

Clean and de-scent the wrong areas, and put a Treat near them. Gets the Living Space identified.

Becca answered on 9/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Why are you leaving your puppy unsupervised? Tether her to your foot or the leg of chair so you can keep a close watch. After your puppy plays, take her out. After she sleeps take her out, after she eats/drinks take her out. If you've already discovered a system to your pup's madness, why not beat her to the punch and take her out before you think she's going to relieve herself. Potty training takes time and patience. I never used pee pads because I feel they confuse the puppy. I mean why tell you she needs to go out when she has free rain to potty in the house.

Hello Dear, if you will clear the age of Pummy, it will be easier to give an advice. But it is important to take your pet out according to its age.
Like,
If it is 1 years old take her out in every 1 hours.
if it is 2 take it out in 2 hours.
and same conditions applies further to avoid her peeing inside the house.

Mika

Hi there, so yes a 5 month old pup should go out every couple hours, every hour even until she is fully trained. It doesnt matter that she hold it overnight, she needs to go out more often through the day. I think if I were a dog I would be confused with where to pee....Right now you are trying to teach a young pup that she has 2 places where its ok to go potty, inside and outside....but inside she is suppose to go on a little square puppy pad, you should stick to training her to go outside instead of trying to train her to go in a certain spot inside.
Also make sure you have cleaned the spots indoors where she has gone potty with a good enzyme cleaner, or she will keep going inside. Also dont scold when an accident happens, simply take her out and give praise and treats for going out

Mika answered on 9/24/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Get your pup an indoor litter box for easy access when eliminating especially at night. It gives owners comfort as well so you don't have to worry taking him out every now and then.

To avoid marking, make sure you have cleaned those area where she previously eliminated with enzyme-based cleaners.

Susie

You shouldn't use pee pads. I read about puppies peeing in carpets because of using pee pads. Apparently they look similar and then... pee.

I didn't listen to those people. I bought pee pads and a holder. On the next day she was peeing in the carpet. And she never had done that.

I taught her only to pee outside by doing the following:
1) Took her outside in the morning
2) Took her outside after she done eating
3) Took her outside after she done drinking water
4) Took her outside everytime I saw her sniffing around
5) Took her outside if I caugh her peeing. I just took her in my arms after saying a big NO. Took her outside so she continue doing her business.

It if was taking position to poop. Said a big NO. I grapped the tail and her back pushed both to close the anus. I was amazed how this worked. No poop no pain.

It took a lot of attention. You need to observe her and spend time with the puppy. My trainer also advise me to leash her to me. I didn't but you can use that.

Susie answered on 10/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer