Should I separate my dog from his friend in order to be inside?

I have a 4 year old st. bernard/german shepherd. I'm about to be moving to an apartment in a different state and I'm trying to decide if I should take my dog with me or not. Ever since I got my dog, he has lived in our backyard at my parents house. Since then he has became best friends with their outside dog. I really want my dog to move with me which would mean I have to separate him from his friend. I'm not really worried about getting him acquainted to being an inside dog but I'm really worried about separating the two. My dad thinks that not only would he be happier staying with his friend, but he'd be happier living outside. Which would be best for him?

Asked by Member 1157150 on Feb 26th 2013 Tagged moving, separationanxiety, insidedog, outsidedog in Separation Anxiety

Answers

That would depend on the dog. We've had dogs that were very happy by themselves and other dogs that need constant companionship and would not adjust well being alone. Good Luck!

Chase

Personally I think you should give it a chance. Bring him along with you and if after a month or two he seems like he misses his friend, or you think he was happier at your parent's house you can always make arrangements to bring him home, especially if your dad is already open to the idea of keeping him there anyway.

Chase answered on 2/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer