Kerouac

Should I keep my foster dog?

We are fostering a 5 month old standard poodle, Milo...the problem is that we love him!

the cons: we already have THREE DOGS! While we can handle four dogs, I like to leave that "fourth Dog opening" for a foster dog. if we adopt Milo, no more fostering...Also, he is a highly adoptable dog, so it isnt like I would be "saving his life".

The pros: He is fabulous, fun and HUGE! He does SO well in the house with the other dogs, I cant believe there are 4 dogs in the house most of the time. He is so happy and comfortable here (but he would likely be happy wtih any family) and LOVES my poodle mix. Husband is a "beagle person" and has even fallen in love with Milo.

Please someone tell me what to do. I have fostered MANY dogs for MANY years and have never felt inclined to keep ANY of them. I always enter an adoption with the intention to adopt forever, it is a different mindset than fostering. Will i regret letting this one go? Am i crazy? cant I do more good by fostering?

Asked by Kerouac on Dec 23rd 2007 Tagged adoption, foster, rescue, poodle in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Leah

If you love the dog, you should keep it because if you dont, you may regret it. But, keep in mind whether or not you can afford another dog. Good luck!

Leah answered on 12/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hank the Handsome Hound

I think ANYONE who has ever fostered has been in this situation before. It comes with the job! I felt the same way about a pup we fostered last spring. It's not that we didn't love the others, we did. We just felt some of the same things you do about Milo. What saved me was knowing that we cannot really afford another dog and even if we could, we can really only handle three so it would mean no more fostering. That's what did it for us. Fostering is too important to stop. I am sure the day will come when we can no longer do it but for the time being, we have to limit ourselves to 2 dogs + a foster.

I have no doubt that I'll be sad when Elvis finally gets adopted but I'd be even more sad if we couldn't foster any more.

Hank was our 'foster failure'. He was the 2nd dog we fostered and he became such good pals with Charley, we couldn't let him go to someone else. But Charley was an 'only child' at the time.

Good Luck and God Bless you for opening your heart & home to a homeless pup!

Hank the Handsome Hound answered on 12/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Bleu martinez

yes you should keep the dog because if no one buys the dog the spca/other, puts the dog to sleep so dont make he/she suffer.

Bleu martinez answered on 12/23/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥Bonzi In Memory

It sounds to me like you have already fell in love with Milo.....If you let him go it's something that you just might regret. Maybe your heart is telling you something here. I think that if you let Milo go you will regret it & always wonder about him. So I would keep him.

♥Bonzi In Memory answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nika

Over the years our family has fostered over 45 different dogs. I will admit that my humans have falling in love with many of them. Some were harder than others. There are currently 4 dogs living here. Our last foster dog mom was VERY closing to keeping. But he did find a home and you can find him here on Dogster too (his name is Butters). Falling in love with a dog is one thing.. but you have to also balance your head and your heart.

Here are some things you might want to ask yourself:

#1. As much as you might regret seeing Milo leave, will you regret loosing that space?

#2. Can you afford to care for another dog long term? Will adding a fourth dog take away from the medical care ($) of the other dogs there?

#3. Why not take a family poll?

This question is a very hard question for many... so hang in there.. I know it isn't an easy question to answer. And sometimes things just find a way of working themselves out too.

Nika answered on 12/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Riley

My initial response is, "Adopt that dog!" Just because a dog is highly adoptable doesn't mean it will be adopted. If he is highly adoptable, why isn't he already adopted? It sounds like you and your other dogs are all a good match for Milo, which is what you want for any rescue dog. But...like others have said, fostering is very important. How many people foster at your local shelter? If you are only one of a few, then perhaps you should continue to foster and forego adopting Milo. However, if your shelter has lots of other people to foster, then maybe you can afford to stop fostering for now and give Milo the home he deserves. Good luck with your decision.

Riley answered on 12/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer