Should I get my Yorkie his yearly rabies shot? I'm confused....l

Everywhere I look for info about this, it's being debated..bad versus... well, bad. I just moved to a new city and they want the proof of his shots but I don't like all of the things I've been reading about these shots.. Need some advise please... Thanks

Asked by Member 765168 on Apr 27th 2010 in Vaccinations

Best Answer

Hector

It is definately up for debate, but ultimately, we don't have alot of say in it. Especially if you have a city ordinance.

Some states including mine, are now requiring it every two years instead of yearly. This is great news to me.

Personally, I believe the shots are kind of like human vaccines and they probably are good for a life time. However, to keep my dogs safe from the LAW, I keep them up to date on vaccines.

Many vets won't even take care of them now unless they are up to date on vac's. So again, it is a forced issue with me, and I do worry about long term side effects, but I worry about them being taken away from me more, or that they won't be able to recieve emergency care if ever needed. I would also worry, if they were to ever get a disease that could have been prevented, how horrible I would feel.

So, for me personally, the pros outweight the cons, and I keep them up to date.

Hector answered on Apr 27th.

Answers

Molley

The safest thing is to get it yearly but where I live we can get the 3 year shot. But did you know that like other shots that people or animals may receive do not fully prevent from the virus or disease? Where I work if a dog or cat has been attacked by another animal that might have rabies we have to re administer the rabies vaccine and keep them under watch? But definitely get the rabies every year. : )

Molley answered on 4/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

In theory, one shot could last a lifetime. But there's no way of knowing and it's not always the case. The only way to be sure would be to have a very expensive blood test done every year and even then, unless you have a reason to have it done (a documented allergic reaction from your vet and a note) you can't just substitute a blood titer test for a shot in most areas. You used to be able to in my area, but now they are taking that option away because so many people have opted for it. That leaves dogs with real difficulty taking the shots with no options, which is sad.

Ultimately, though, there are more dogs without complications or lasting ill effects from the shots than those who have issues (and I say this as the owner of a dog who DID have an allergic reaction to the shot and can't have it again.) I do feel that it's important to protect them against rabies, which is a fatal disease and to comply with the law, such as it is.

Yes shots are over done and sometimes lead to reactions and even death. In many cases, checking for antibodies, titer, would be better. However, reactions, let along bad ones or death are rare.

If you don't already have records that will pacify the powers the be, go ahead with a shot and don't worry about it.

We don't do any shots either. Dogs don't need rabie shots. When dogs are born, they aren't required to get rabie shots. Dogs out in the wild have never had any kind of shots, they're living.

My dogs have never had a rabie shot. They're still living! Nothing is wrong with my dogs!

If you want to, you can go to the vet and they can take a blood test and see if he has any rabies. They can give you a certificate, too.

Howard, Howard, Howard!!!!! Rabies shots are probably the most important vaccination a dog can get. Unless you live on a island where there has never been any rabies, such as the UK, Rabies is required by law, first of all. That aside, rabies is a FATAL disease, and not only to mammals but to humans, (also mammals). Rabies vaccines are a must, there is no blood test and certification from a vet or anyone exempting a dog from a rabies vaccine. There are titre tests, however, last I knew, they are not accepted as proof that your dog has had rabies vaccinations.
Probably the most important thing about rabies is that should your dog ever bite a person and you have no proof of current rabies vaccination, your dog will be seized and euthanized!!! Not only that, but any one of your family or friends who has come into contact with your dog must also go thru the series of painful rabies vaccinations as well.
House bats are one of the common infected mammals, so even indoor dogs a