Pippa

Should I feed my husky puppy with medium or large breed puppy food?

My female husky puppy is just 6 months and 51 lb already! As I assumed she wouldn't be more than 50 lb by breed standard, I have always fed her regular puppy food, but since she's over that I'm wondering if I should switch to large breed puppy food. She's doing well right now but I don't want her to suffer from hip or bone problems in the future. Help!

Asked by Pippa on May 3rd 2012 Tagged largebreed, husky, puppy in Food & Nutrition

Answers

It doesn't really matter by six months, except for really GIANT breeds, like Great Danes, Mastiffs, etc because they grow so fast and continue to grow longer (2 years or more). There is no legal definition for "large breed puppy food" anyway, so the nutrition content can vary from brand to brand and there are no hard and fast rules about what makes it different from regular puppy food.

I think any type of puppy food or all-life-stages food is appropriate for a six-month-old Husky. The best way to avoid bone problems: keep her lean. Puppies should NOT be chunky or pudgy, it's not cute, it's cruel to put extra weight on growing bones. Also, exercise her judiciously- enough to build muscle to support the joints, but not so much that she injures herself (injuries during rapid growth can cause deformities later.) Avoid repetitive motion and hard impacts.

Don't worry too much anyway, joint problems are fairly rare in Sibes in the first place.

You should go with Large Breed puppy food. Typically, it's bad to feed Great Danes any form of puppy food at all, as they grow too fast and become too large for their hips/joints.

Great Danes and Mastiffs should be fed Adult food early on, so they don't overgrow. Huskies however are a large-breed dog that doesn't grow too large for their own good.

Give your husky puppy Large Breed puppy food, then switch to Adult food around 8-12 months of age, and you should be just fine.

Also, make sure your husky has plenty of natural dog chews to keep its teeth clean and jaws strong. Go to www.PetLeader.com and check out the All Natural Chews section for some good options.