Olive

Should I be concerned my dog's back legs are longer than her front legs?

My 10 month old puppy is half frenchie and half boston terrier. It seems like she has frenchie legs in the front and boston legs in the back. Should I be concerned? NOTHING slows her down, I'm just wondering long term if it can cause problems because it makes her back curve slightly since he butt is elevated.

Asked by Olive on Aug 7th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

It would be great if you could post a photo of Olive standing up (shown from the side, taken level with her) so we can see just how much of a difference there is.

There are many breeds of dog whose rear end is higher up than their front end when they're standing with all four legs squared. Boston's behinds are normally level with or slightly above their withers when they stand with their back legs underneath them rather than stretched a bit back.

My puppy is turning 8 months and i noticed that when she would grow, her back legs would grow first before the front legs grew to catch up in length, and for a time she would run real funny. Maybe your puppy is just growing still....i wouldn't be too worried until she is 1 1/2 or two or if your puppy's legs still haven't matched up. My brother-in-law has a boston terrier and it seemed liked their legs are pretty even, now the french bulldog looked like it might have slighter shorter front legs and a little longer back legs. Just keep watching.