Shittzu x poodle with itchy ear neck and under chin, has had vet check and vet can't see anything. HELP

I just got a new dog, she is a shitzu x poodle, she is 14 months old and she is so beautiful. I'm feeding her the same thing the owners did but she sniffs the food then walks away from it and eats it much later on in the night. BUT the main problem is, she won't stop itching. She itches her ear and neck, between those two areas and under the chin constantly. I have de-flead her twice, no fleas. Also taken her to the vet, who can't see anything wrong with her except she's a little underweight, and she found no redness or abrasion where she itches. BUT SHE ITCHES A LOT AND MOANS WHILST DOING SO. I can tell she is so frustrated but I can't figure out way is wrong with her. Please help? Also, it's not her collar, she hasn't worn itfor a couple of days and is still really itchy.

Asked by Member 1044079 on Aug 8th 2011 Tagged itchy, noredness, vet, shitzu in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Zoe

It sounds like you and your vet ruled out all other reasons... When I rescued my dog, she did the same thing- we finally realized it was a nervous tick and went away as she settled in. She's probably just taking some time to get used to her new home. You know when people are nervous, we do little behaviors like tucking your hair behind your ear, touching your face, or doing something with your hands (tapping, chewing nails etc)? I'd be willing to bet it's the same thing. Zoe used to be so bad that she would stop suddenly in the middle of the road and have an all-out scratch-fest. It was good to rule out all the other causes, and just make sure it's not getting red or sore. And don't worry about her not eating- Zoe's the same way. As long as she eats eventually, she'll be ok, and she'll probably get better about it as she settles in. If the itchiness doesn't decrease in a few weeks to a month or so, ask your vet about food allergies.

Zoe answered on Aug 8th.

Answers

I would try changing her food. She may be allergic to something that's in it. Look for something with less filler and less/no grains. Jax was itchy until I changed hers. Don't buy anything that's advertised on TV. Generally, they are not great dog foods. Try going to a specialty dog food store, that specializes in just food. I have Kali on California Natural. Not all dog foods suit all dogs. You may have to change a couple of times to find which one works for her. Good Luck!

IF she hasn't worn a collar before she will likely scratch at it for up to several weeks. You can test this by removing the collar and see what happens.

Monty

I would also try putting her on a Natural dog food diet. She may be allergic to the ingredients in her food. This is quite a common problem. After about 3 weeks on a natural food, you should see the difference.

Monty answered on 8/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

Insane itchies make me think Sarcoptic Mange, which is the contagious kind. But the mites do leave tiny pimple like spots on the dog and you said she has no marks....so not mange.

Bummer. Mange is easier to fix then allergies.

I also think allergies are a possibility. Beef, chicken, wheat, soy, eggs are common allergies for dogs. Be aware these flavors are in medications as well as food.

It's not unusual to develop allergies to food after eating the same thing for a long time. It's recommended to do a gradual food change every 6 months. Try 'Taste of the Wild', Evo, Blue Buffalo, just for a start. Look for a protein she has not had before.

Hope she gets better.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 8/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Amazing Grace

Check her ears for mites, yeast or infection. Inner ear problems have similar symptoms.

Amazing Grace answered on 8/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer