shih tzu constantly licking his lips and paws...please help!!!

he is five years old and i rescued him about six months ago. he is constantly licking his paws and lips in a sort of smacking noise. its not for any special reason that i can see its just a constant thing he does, is this something all shih tzu's do?? the only reason i ask is because it has become so bad it will wake me up at night sometimes. im not sure what to do!

Asked by Member 827647 on Feb 28th 2010 Tagged licking in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Well, I am a 9 yr. old with a Toy Poodle (female) that also licks her paws but without a smacking noise. She also licks us. well, somebody told me that dogs do that when they are stressed.Try to unstress him. I do not know how but just try to find some ways. Hope this helped. I am Noah Escarda, always helping.

:)

Daisy Mae

I have had dogs in the past who will constantly lick their paws, legs, and lips if they have something stuck in their teeth, or they have a tooth that was bothering them.

Daisy Mae answered on 3/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It could either be a medical condition or it could be a habit/ soothing reflex.
Not sure , try taking him the the vets and have them do a wet swab of his feet inbetween his toes.
It does sound like a medical problem if it is constant and seems to be bothering him.
He could just need a good bath with some good shampoo like Pet Promise
petpromiseinc.com

Gryphon

I have the same issue with all of my shih tzu! Their tongue doesn't come out of their mouth entirely, it sorta sounds like they're smacking their lips. I know stress can do make them do it but in my case when I snuggle and scratch them they do it too. I'm almost thinking its a pleased/pleasure type of thing. It may be situational?

Gryphon answered on 5/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer