Senior German Shepherd dog keeps eating dirt, cement and moss?

I've done all the research I can but I just can't get one answer.
She's 13 years old and slowly losing her hearing and sight and she's getting weaker by day.

She's been eating a lot of dirt lately.
I read and was told that it could be because she is lacking minerals, could be trying to calm down an upset stomach or it could be caused by stress.
I'm thinking it's stress, because we changed her diet, but she still keeps digging up the yard and eating dirt like it was food.

About a year ago my father passed away, something none of us could have expected. I remember her eating a little bit of moss before that, but then she started eating dirt, scratching the cement pathways and licking them. I told my vet about this, but he said it's not unusual for dogs to eat dirt and it's not serious.

This is the second time she's gotten sick from eating all that dirt. She's been with me for as long as I can remember and I want to help her get better.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Asked by Member 1175436 on Jun 14th 2013 Tagged senior, old, germanshepherd, eatingdirt in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Why did you change her food... to a healthy senior large breed formula (Nutro makes a great one)? She sounds like she was mourning your dad. Did you ever think about getting her a friend? Perhaps a young dog who has a calm temperament, and is a neutered male? Bored dogs will find things to get into; your food should be providing natural nutrients, but your vet may suggest a supplement also such as senior dog NutriCal. ^_^