Rufus keeps digging/scratching his bed. Why is this and how do I get him to stop?

Rufus our new 9 week old Dalmation Pup keeps digging/scratching and chewing his bed. Why does he do this and how do I get him to stop?

Asked by Member 544821 on Dec 13th 2007 in Chewing

Answers

Arturo (cc'd GDB puppy)

A lot of dogs do that, and honestly I don't know why. :) My dog, Arturo, did the same exact thing, and I taught him "stop" meaning to stop whatever he was doing, and it worked like a charm with him and scratching his bed. I think it's a digging instinct, and the bed seems soft and fluffy, so I'm going to dig it!!!! :)

Arturo (cc'd GDB puppy) answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxii Bella

Both of our mini schnauzers do this. We asked our Vet why they do this & he said it is because they are trying to get comfortable & flatten the surface where they are laying at.And once they get it perfect, they do lay down & no more digging.When our newest puppy started that, we pulled the blanket off our bed and put it over her body , and now no more digging on the bed. But, now she will only sleep under the covers.If you have a doggy bed it may be to lumpy, or fluffy for him. Find a soft flat surface for them to lie on. If that don't work, then teaching them the basic command "NO" or "LAY DOWN" will stop the problem

Roxii Bella answered on 12/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer