Rescued a stray, already a dog owner! Need much needed advice! Please help!?

I have two dogs already, both about 1 1/2 - 2 years old. One is a pit/bulldog mix, male, fixed, and easy going. I also have a mutt, probably mostly shep/rotty mix, female, very hyperactive. My boyfriend recently found a 6 month old pitt mix, not fixed, abandoned and brought it home. The two males get along great, but the female wants nothing to do with the new pup. She is not aggressive but simply ignores him. The pup is friendly with both dogs and shows no signs of aggression. I was wondering why my female is ignoring him. She is inseparable with the male we have now. They have not left each others side for 9 months now and have grown an incredible bond. Is she being completely loyal to the male we have now, or is she being completely stubborn and "mean" by ignoring the other dog completely. They both have sniffed each other out, and the puppy is eager to play. She just doesn't want to interact with him at all.

Please help!
Any advice would be much appreciated!
- A stressed dog lover

Asked by Member 1059230 on Sep 26th 2011 in Socialization

Answers

This is a problem why?

Honestly I thought your question was going to end with "and she tried to kill him and I don't know what to do!"

Adult dogs often don't like puppies and have no patience for their antics, just like not all adult humans love children. That's what it sounds like is going on with yours. Calling her "mean" and "stubborn" is unfair.

I think it's unrealistic to plunk a new puppy into an established dog pack and expect everything to be all hunky-dory. Often it goes even worse than with yours, with real mayhem and fighting. Maybe she will warm up with time, maybe she won't. Only time will tell. For now, I wouldn't force her to interact with the pup, let her have her own space.

I think of it like this: some people like small children; other people think they're annoying and would rather not be around them. Dogs are kind of the same way. It sounds like your pitt/bulldog is the first type of dog, and your shep girl is the second. If she's not aggressive with the pup, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd make sure she gets her own time with you and some breaks away from the youngster, but as the puppy gets older, he'll chill out and your girl may become more accepting. This sounds like a pretty typical family dynamic to me.

you can't make dogs be friends. plus puppies are rather annoying to most adult dogs. I'm sure they'll adjust but usually there is alot of fighting to just throw a dog in the mix, they need time to get us to each other.
hopefully you will place found ads for this puppy. even though he was a stray, he use to belong to someone who may be looking for him. you should place signs in the neighborhood, at the shelter and place a found ad in the paper.