renting with a service dog. Does the ADA protect you from the no pet policy

im disabled and have a service animal The place we called about rentals in a prop manger and we told her we had a dog and he was a service dog. But she still keeps tring to put us in places with no pet policys. I dont wanna get sued and she is kinda acting like dont ask dont tell but i have made her aware. Will they be able to do anything to me if hes there??

Asked by Member 866744 on Aug 11th 2009 Tagged servicedog, renting, ada in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

You have the right to live in any public housing dog or no dog. Maybe not a flat in a house occupied by the owner. Otherwise, if it is for rent, the management must accept your dog. My friend and her dog guide live in a pet free apartment complex. When Aster retired as a dog guide, she lost her rights and came to live with us.

Another tenant there has a hearing assistance dog.

In addition to raising puppies, I am involved in helping people with dog guides in different ways. I have also stepped up and helped other service dog partners.

Patchs

Federal law says that a "registered" service dog is allowed ANYWHERE a human can go, and that it is exempt from "no pet" laws in housing. But You ARE responsable to restore the property to its pre-rent condition if the dog causes and wear or damage while you are renting.

Check out: www.animallaw.info

Patchs answered on 8/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Patches is right. Service dogs are exempted from no dog policies in any building, housing or public. Provide them with your documentation and you should be fine.

Miss Buddie answered on 8/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They have to allow you or they will be breaking the law.

And there is no such thing as a registered service animal. They do not certify or register them.

A service dog is any dog trained for be a service dog. And a service dog is used in many ways, you can train them yourself and it is still legal.

I am disabled and I have more than one service dog. The ONLY thing they can ask you is if it is a therapy/service dog. They can ask what the dog is trained to do but they cannot ask you what your disability is or anything else.

Also, no person or dog can interfere in any way shape or form with the dog, that means they can get in trouble just for touching it...

If you want links to the laws just let me know.

Harley, SD, CGC, TDI

None of the previous answers are completely correct.

The ADA does not protect you in housing situations, but the FHA does. This is one of the few situations where you can be required to provide documentation. You need a letter from your physician stating that you are disabled and require the use of a service dog. If you go to the HUD website, they have sample letters. After that is done, you are exempt from all pet policies.

Service dogs are NOT the same as therapy dogs. Therapy dogs have no legal protection in housing or public access. They are pets that do community service.

Harley, SD, CGC, TDI answered on 6/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer