Gypsy

Regression in potty training

My 6 month old Whippet was easy to potty train. She has consistantly gone outside about 96% of the time (she will have an occasional accident). I do not work, and I am diligent about watching her. I take her outside each time she wakes from her nap, etc.
She has started urinating at infrequent times. I have steam cleaned the carpets to take away the urine smell, but she still does it now and then. She is free-fed food/water. She doesn't eat well, so I am afraid to put her on a "schedule" for fear she will loose weight.
Any recommendations?

Asked by Gypsy on Oct 18th 2009 in House Soiling

Best Answer

If the urinating has started recently and like you said, odd times, I'd take her to the vet to be absolutely sure there's not a physiological reason for this, like a urinary tract infection. Sometimes, we think it's behavioral when it can easily be a medical issue. If she has a UTI, she'll be more likely to urinate more often and also with less control. Kind of like she just can't help it.

Barring at UTI or something similar, I'd say to go straight back to the beginning and pretend she's not housetrained. This is the most effective thing you can do and it helps stop the behavior now as well as in the future. A dog who is 96% is not houstrained. A dog who is 100% is housetrained, so going back to basics will help a lot, I believe.

Try a good enzyme based carpet cleaner from the pet store. These sprays have live enzymes that break down the urine and really take that smell out, even so much that SHE can't smell it so she can't be lured into peeing there again.

Jack answered on Oct 18th.

Answers

I say she is still very young.
I think females take a little longer at my house to be trained.
But, by all means I say she is really going to have to mature physically more.

Maybe around 10 -11 months her frequency will be less.
Until the bladder is more mature sometimes that affects how long they can hold it.

I do remember having a conversation with a grey hound rescue lady and she has been doing it for a long time.
She was very informative on the breed she did comment that they mature very slowly especially the girls.
I wish I still had her card you could call her.

If you feel she is not doing well with her diet the vet is always a good spot to start.
good luck.

Yes, it is always good to check with the vet about new behavior problems. You can't train a dog out of a UTI.

Most likely it isn't housebreaking at all, but she is maturing and claiming the house and challenging your leadership. We have had 19 puppies since 1991, and none of them were still having housebreaking problems by 6 months.

Spay her if not already. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat.

Don't worry about her losing weight. Whippets tend to keep themselves lean. it is OK if the ribs show a little.

Fritz

Hey Aster, please find something else to cut and paste. Not all problems are caused by dominance issues, most of them aren’t. It depends a lot on the dog.

We have all kinds in our pack. Pip is a dominant dog. He would have these kinds of issues and we are careful to never let him feel like he is getting the upper hand. (He moves when we need to go through the door he is laying in front of, he doesn’t go through the door first etc….

With me, it isn’t a problem. I am not a dominant dog and I am not form a breed known for aggressiveness. It would hurt my feelings and cause problems if you tried to assert your dominance and it would make a problem like this one worse.

Fritz answered on 10/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

jazzy

well the scadule for feedings and even water would help becuase u would now that 30 mins after she eats she is gonna have to go out. some poeple put them in there kennle for 30mins so there food will digest properly. just remember if u put her on a scadule she is gonna learn that if she doesnt eat she isnt gonna eat till her next feeding that also might help with the not eating good. hope this works thanks.

jazzy answered on 10/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer