Rednose Pit Milo,cant have edible bone stuff but LOVES it (gets diarrhea) Ideas?

any toys that would take place of real bones? I bought the Galileo, but he's not interested. He LOVES real bones sooooooo much. Oh and he will eat a large knuckle bone in about an hour, so I need something STRONG and "tasty" to him. Tired of spending $ on things he's not interested in

Asked by Member 966057 on Feb 19th 2010 in Toys

Answers

Natcho

Instead of giving him so much.
Give him a bit just to snack on, then take it away. And give him some the next day.

Saves you money, and diarrhea!

Natcho answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hector

Your pit sounds alot like my pit, (Bo) his nose is pink though.

When I first got Bo, he would get diarrhea with bones too. This seemed to stop on it's own. I don't know if it just took some adjusting to a new diet or what. I give him the big round ones that have a little meat on them. They last much longer than any other ones. I only give him beef, as the others are too soft.

Bo doesn't play with toys either. No matter how pricey. He just isn't interested, but he will occasionally chew on a big hunky stick.

He fills most of his days by playing with his little sister, whom he adores. They will run for hours, before coming in to snuggle up for a long nap.

If bones are a forever no to Milo, try giving him a stick. See if that works for you, giving him lots of extra cirricular activities will also help occupy his time, taking the place of needing something to chew, but you will need to be super diligent about dental hygiene, as chewing things does alot of that for them.

Hector answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

cooked bones like that are very dangerous for the teeth. And any raw weight bearing bones like that are dangerous for the teeth also.
Stick with non weight bearing bones that are raw.
cooked bones can splitter off and cause trouble in the dogs digestion system.
Try the black kong and stuff it.

What about activity toys instead of bones?

Activity toys are almost like a puzzle that dogs have to solve in order to get access to cookies or treats that you place inside an area of the toy.

There are a lot out there on the market, and a lot of them are tough enough that he won't be able to easily destroy or accidentally eat a piece of them.

I'd recommend the Jack by Orka. It's very durable and shaped like a toy jack (not Jack, ha!) and it's given our dogs a lot of fun trying to get to the food. I use some small Old Mother Hubbard cookies (they seem to be the PERFECT size to fit into the medium to large sized Jacks and I use some chicken or wet canned food to sort of pack them in there tightly. Sometimes, it can be an hour of constant working to get those treats out.

Also, Jack had no interest in the galileo until we put wet food on the end and he started chewing.

Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Tay Czar

Have you tried the Terrabone Smart, Healthy dental Chews?
I like them ,but do go through them fairly quick , your Mom may just have to give you part at a time to save on chews and $.
My Mom has to watch me , cos I too am an aggressive chewer and love rawhide chews, but too much at once =gas!
I however am interested in loopies ,and Kong Toys that make noise, the louder the better but you must play tug of war or catchwith me, as others stated perhaps more interaction will increase your interest in other non-bone toys!
Tay Czar
alldogsbigandsmall.com

Tay Czar answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer