Sydney

Recent rescue pup, need ideas for bad behaviors and separation anxiety!?

My dog is a 3 year old shih tzu mix. I rescued her 2 months ago from a shelter. We are working with a trainer on basic training and she can now sit and stay well. She is very attached to me and has serious separation anxiety. I cannot leave her alone in my house because she will bark, and pant the WHOLE time. We are working on crate training (she sleeps in there just fine every night) and she stays in there calm while I am home but as soon as she hears the front door open and close she loses her cool. I have tried all the calming products from the store (thunder shirt, tablets, drops, lavendar scented collar) and nothing works. Even Benedryl had NO effect on her. She goes to dog daycare while I am at work and does fine there but is overly excited to see me when i pick her up. I have not talked to my vet yet about more serious drugs. She is also very protective of me and will bark/show aggression toward male humans that are near me, but is fine with men without me there. Any Advice?

Asked by Sydney on Aug 22nd 2013 Tagged separationanxiety, barking, alone, calm, aggression in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Talk to your vet about doggie prozac until you get her trained. She was seemingly abandoned or separated from her mom at about nine weeks, which left traumatic after-effects. I would also get a dog whistle and blow it when she barks. Hopefully, she'll get the message. Plus, work with her EVERY DAY! You can both do it!! ^_^