raw hide bones for puppies

Can puppies at 16 weeks have raw hide bones to chew on? My pug is chewing everything in site!

Asked by Member 713733 on Aug 21st 2008 in Puppies

Answers

As long as you are there to supervise, rawhides are OK. You may want to consider rawhide "chips" as opposed to small rawhide bones. They are less likely to choke on a piece of a rawhide chip that a piece of a rawhide bone (in my experience). Just, PLEASE, NEVER EVER give your dog a rawhide to chew on without supervision!!!

Have you looked into other chews like Kongs, Nylabones, etc? I would prefer an appropriate sized kong toy stuffed with edible goodies to a rawhide. They even make Kong "Stuffin" that comes in a can (looks like cheese in a can) that you can fill the kong with; keeps a dog busy for hours!!! You can even fill them with peanut butter! Kongs are much safer than rawhides, and safe to fill and leave with your pet unsupervised.

Hannah

My opinion of raw hide chews:

I do NOT give raw hide anything to my pups or adult dogs. I have found that unsupervised they can be a choking hazard. This is MY opinion on this type of "chewy".

If you want to allow your pup to have raw hide treats, I suggest you get your Vet's advice as well about raw hide treats. You may be surprised at what he/she tells you.

If you still want to allow your pup to have raw hide, I recommend NEVER allowing your pup to be unattended with one, and to throw it away BEFORE it is chewed down small enough to be a choking hazard.

Also, raw hide can become kind of slimy after being chewed on. This makes them become slippery as well, and easily choked upon too.

There are lots of other kinds of chew toys for pups. I suggest speaking to your Vet for a safe alternative, especially if your pup will be left unattended with the treat/toy.

Happy Tails to you and your pup!

Hannah answered on 8/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I never give my dogs rawhide bones. They are not easy to digest, and can cause more harm than they can good. Larger breeds seem to not have such an issue, but I still don't give them to my Dobes. My little ones absolutely LOVE bully sticks. They are a little more expensive, but they are very easy for a dog to digest and help to clean their teeth. You can also purchase any type of dog toy that a dog can chew on, but won't end up ingesting if pieces fall off, etc. You don't want your dog to have a plastic toy and end up eating half of it, which is why the bully sticks are great replacements. You might try getting one of those, see how your Pug likes it - really no reason why he wouldn't love it. When does your dog chew up things? Do you let him run around all of the time unsupervised? Does he have a crate you keep him in? You may also need to invest in a crate for him to stay in when you can't watch him. Also try to keep him out of places in your house where you don't want him in

Karlie R.I.P October 12th 07

I suggest Beef bones from the market, cut off most of the meat though. It keeps them busy and it's good for little sharp teeth, wet food just rots there gums. These bones are great all year round.

Karlie R.I.P October 12th 07 answered on 8/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Besides rawhides, you can also try out different chew toys and find which ones your dog likes. I would recommend a combination of rawhides and chew toys, so that your pup has more variety to choose from.
Don't forget to redirect the chewing behavior. In other words, when your dog is chewing on some inappropiate, show them the appropiate thing(s) to chew on and praise and richly reward for chewing on the right things.