Brutus

Rabies Vaccinations. 1 year or 3 year?

I took my dog to the veternarian this morning to get his booster shots. This included the rabies vaccination. The vet asked us if we wanted a 1 year altered or 3 year altered. We just chose the 1 year altered, so we'll have to take him back in one year to get another rabies shot.

Is there a difference between the 1 and 3 year? Is there on that is better, or stronger? Or are they both okay?

Asked by Brutus on Jun 29th 2010 Tagged rabies, year, year, vaccinations in Vaccinations

Answers

Both options are perfectly fine. They do the exact same job with no real differences. The only difference would be that you don't pay for the rabies vaccination again until the 3 years is up.

Since rabies is a required by law vaccine and I do not give any vaccine unless absolutely necessary, I would have chosen the three year to hopefully lessen the chances of reactions. It is exactly the same vaccine, and the protection provided has been proven to last at least three years so in my opinion, it's a no brainer... why give three when one will protect and is perfectly legal? Frankly, if titre's were legal in my state I would go that route and not give ANY rabies vaccinations!

Duckie

No difference between 1 and 3 year vaccination except for the label. It's a legal issue with state law as that dictates if you can vaccinate 1 or 3 years. I believe every state offers the 3 year option except for Alabama. Lawmakers decided rabies vaccination should be done annually and vets have had to comply.

The American Veterinary Medical Assc (AVMA) recommends rabies vaccination be done every 3 years after the first booster shot. Vets shouldn't even give you the option, they should automatically do it every 3 years because there is risk of an adverse reaction with every vaccination. Antibody titers have shown that the rabies vaccination lasts 5-10 years or longer.

Duckie answered on 6/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer