Riley

Rabies?

What might be the symptoms of a dog having rabies?

I was at a sisters house for a couple of days.. Arriving home today I noticed a couple of raccoon's have been dead. A couple of days now these raccoon's have been up in a tree. Usually people say that when they're out during the day they have rabies?

Anyway, my dad had told me that Riley has attacked the ones that this guy got down. And one has bitten him a couple of times, but Riley still went at it.

Now my dad is saying that he might need to be put down or something due to might having rabies? I have no idea. Don't really know what to do now.. Help?

Asked by Riley on Jul 14th 2013 Tagged rabies in Illness & Disease

Answers

She needs to take the dog to the vet if you even suspect he has contracted it. They will quarantine him and observe him. The only way to test for it would be to kill him and have him tested. They symptoms are on the below link:
www.petmd.com
It is very important your sister doesn't ignore this. It is always fatal if contracted. You really don't want the dog to infect a humane or someone else's pet. This needs to be addressed ASAP! Good Luck!

Kali is absolutely correct. If possible have someone collect the dead animals & have them tested..the brain must be intact for the test. Your sister is also at risk, so this is something that needs to be done ASAP! One does not euth a dog for "suspected" rabies. Quarantine to see if symptoms develop is the protocol here.
Vet NOW!

xena CGC

riley... i hope your rabies shot is up to date. if so quarantine will be like a trip to club vet.
you are to cute to suffer. !!! GET TO THE VET !!!

best wishes
xena

{XENA AND I WILL BE HOPPING FOR A GOOD OUT COME SHE WAS IN QUARANTINE ONCE. HERS WASN'T LIFE THREATENING. GOOD LUCK }

xena CGC answered on 7/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would suggest that you take Riley to the vet. A rabied dog is hypersensitive to light, water, sound, and touch. Signs of aggression can be present and foaming in the mouth can be evident.