Gunny

Question about male dog licking female dogs urine~

Gunny has a horrible habit of licking Sheba's urine after we take them outside. He doesn't follow her around but will happen to walk by it or sometimes seems to search and he'll lick away, foams at the mouth a bit and his doggie lips move like he's chewing softly. It's just a gross thing to see and I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with him. Sheba is fixed so it's not like she's in heat. Sometimes if I sternly tell him no he'll walk away slowly but look at me with this pitiful look on his face. Anyone have any experiences like this? What's going on with him?!

Asked by Gunny on Mar 25th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

amy

i work at a petting zoo with goats and sheep and the goats do the same thing. i asked my supervisor and she said that it is a way of learning about each other, kind of like sniffing each other. so i guess its the same with dogs. hope this helps!

amy answered on Mar 25th.

Answers

Treader does a similar thing. When Cookie pees somewhere, he will go over when she's done and lift his leg over the spot where Cookie peed. Both Treader and Cookie are fixed.
Fixed dogs still have some intrest in each other.
Although with your dog it's not exactly a sanitary habit, it sounds normal. All you can do is discourage him. My GSD used to eat out of the litter box. After a looooong time of scolding her when she did that, she finally stopped doing it altogether.

HERBIE

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH HERBIE!!!

HE WILL LICK IT OR SMELLIT, THEN HIS LIPS QUIVER AND THEN HE PEES ON IT.
EVEN THOUGH BOTH ARE FIXED HE STILL CAN SENSE THAT ITS FEMALE PEE, AND IS ATTRACTED TO IT.

HERBIE GETS HIS MOUTH WIPED OUT WITH A WET CLOTH AFTER HE COMES BACK IN. CAUSE WE DONT WANT DOGGIE PEE KISSES!!

HERBIE answered on 3/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ares

Athena and Ares have had such similar problems. I agree I get completely grossed out. Ares used to eat poop (any), but a month of stern no's and he stopped. If Athena has an accident in the middle of the night, by the time we find it she has half eaten it. And Ares not only licks where she pees but likes her as well when she's done. We just keep up with th no's, and then make sure they get something like water and a treat to wash it off their tongue before we allow any loves. Good luck.

Ares answered on 3/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer