Shasta

Question about an Australian Shepherd puppy being deaf

I've been looking for another Australian Shepherd puppy to go with my other Aussie and we don't have many Aussies around here, so they are hard to find, well I found some puppies and they have one left. He is a blue merle with blue eyes, his face is mostly white though so could he be deaf? I know if you breed two merles their is a chance the puppies could be blind or deaf but his Mother is a blue merle and his Father is red & white, so what do you guys think? He is only 4 weeks old right now so would I be able to tell if he was deaf?

Asked by Shasta on Oct 3rd 2013 Tagged puppy, deaf in Other Puppies

Answers

Use a dog whistle to test, but do you really want the chance of an inbred dog? All of them need love, sure, but the health issues can get pricey when they are older. We're sure that you will make the right decision and choose a natural pet food! ^_^

You can't really tell yet. Aussie breeders I know have all their pups BAER tested prior to leaving the litter for their new homes.
It is the only way to know for sure with a deaf puppy that young.

Shasta

I think Tasha answered it well. It's hard to tell at a young age.

Is it really worth it to get an improperly-bred dog just so you can have a purebred?... Your other Aussie won't be able to tell what breed her/his new pal is.... Try petfinder.com or dog snow.com, that's where I went when I found my Kelpie/Aussie

Shasta answered on 10/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You can tell that as of the moment until it is being tested prior to release.

He is only 4 weeks old. I think it is too early to say that he is deaf. But if you have any doubt then you should try the dog whistle.I hope you will take a good decision. Good luck.