Puppy's first vet visit

Hi, I am adopting a 9-week-old puppy from a rescue organization. She is currently being kenneled at a groomer with her mom and 2 siblings. I'm told she had her first shots and is due for another round in about a month (will find out for sure/get history when I pick her up in 2 days), and she also had her first dose of de-wormer when I met her yesterday.

My question is, should I take her right away to have a vet give her a checkup, or wait until she is due for her next shots? I would take her to my local humane society, which has walk-in hours, so it's often crowded. She would likely have a lot of exposure to other dogs in the waiting area and I've heard this could be bad for puppies. She looked healthy aside from the puffy tummy when I met her, but still would like to make sure everything is OK. Thanks for any advice.

Asked by Member 977226 on Mar 25th 2010 Tagged puppy, vet, exposure, shots in Health & Safety

Answers

First, congratulations on your new puppy.

Also, it's great that you are thinking this through, already.

I believe any new dog owner, regardless of the origin of the dog (breeder, shelter, private owner) or the age, needs to see a vet within 24 hours of bringing her home.

I think this for several reasons. First, as well intentioned as people can be, sometimes they do miss medical issues that are going. While having a second opinion from your own vet will probably just confirm that the dog is healthy, there's always the chance that your vet could see something that needs treatment. That small chance is more than worth the repetition and extra cost, even if the puppy has just been to the vet.

Also, sadly, there are a lot of breeders who lie. I'm not saying yours has in any way misled you. But it's another reason to be safe rather than sorry.

It also helps establish a baseline health record quickly with your new vet. Puppyhood is a crucial time for health.

Good luck with her!

Different vets have different ideas on shots. Mine is much more aggressive about them than the schedule you have been given. Maybe the best thing is to check with the humane society about when they think you should bring the puppy in for a checkup and shots. An early visit to a vet is ideal, but we can't always do the Ideal.

I usually get a 7 week old puppy and take it to the vet at 8 weeks for shots and a check up.

Isy

Congrats on the baby!!

Definately go to the vet right away for just a check up. Since it is a busy place with all kinds of dogs in all kinds of health, try to go at an odd ball time like mid-day, mid-week. You can call them, too, to find out when the best time would be. I would carry her in and keep her on my lap and carry her out. That way it limits her exposure to anything that could be around. If her first worming was at 9 weeks old, she is probably loaded with worms!!! That would explain the puffy tummy. I'd go to the vet for this reason alone. They should give you more wormer to give her every 2 weeks until you come back for shots.

Isy answered on 3/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Rufio

Try to go in at odd times that are not as busy, and I would not let the puppy touch the ground, just carry her and keep her on your lap at all times. Do not let her near other animals either.

Rufio answered on 3/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer