Myrtle

Puppy with hip problems?

Myrtle is 11month old. Two days ago I let her out of her crate when I came home, as I always do and she was limping. (back left leg)I had her rest and the next day she seems fine. I though she must of just layed on it wrong. Today she was outside running with my son. She loves to run and is fast. When she came in she started limping again. It is worse this time. It almost seems like when she walk her hip is going inward. I'll keep her calm for a while. I didn't know if anyone had any ideas/advise. Thanks

Asked by Myrtle on Nov 24th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Koby

Koby was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia when he was 6 months old. You should take her to the vet and have her checked out. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 11/24/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Beauty and Nala

Please take her to your vet. She may have hip dysplasia which is very painful. The vet can give her meds to help with pain and swelling. You also want to rule out injury as well.

Beauty and Nala answered on 11/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Did she come from a reputable AKC breeder? If not, she could be inbred and you will be looking forward to a lifetime of hip problems with this dog. Start her on Greenies joint care large dog glucosamine and chondroitin supplements asap, and make an appointment for the vet for x-rays. She may require pricey surgery, or this might be a lifelong condition that you will have to deal with. Good luck and happy holidays. ^_^

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

Don't know why everyone automatically assumes hip problems!!!
First of all, there is a disease called panosteoitis, which is an inflammation of the long bones and which is very painful. It is also called "growing Pains" as it affects young large breed puppies most often.
Good news is that the disease is temporary and never lasts much past 14 to 15 months of age.
OR, it could be she has strained or torn her cruciate ligament. This is a common injury as well and has nothing to do with her hips.
NONE of us here on the internet can diagnose what is wrong with your dog... she needs to see a vet for that.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 11/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hip dysplasia can occur in young pups even as early as 4 months of age. Make sure you provide a comfortable living condition for your pup and take her to the vet regularly.