Reagan

Puppy Crying/Screaming all night?

Last night Reagan started crying and almost screaming every half hour or so. It wasn't her normal whine cause she wants on the bed either. Even when I picked her up and put her in bed with me she would be quite for a while then she would cry for a little bit and be quite again. I wouldn't even be touching her.

She also used to follow you around and always come whenever you'd say her name but she wouldn't come this morning.

She did have a little play date with another dog last night but it was a very small and well behaved dog as well.

Could this just be a sign of teething? Or did the other dog possibly hurt her? Or a weird thought- can dogs have nightmares?

I don't know what to do. Everytime I touch her or try to pick her up she screams.

Asked by Reagan on Feb 9th 2012 Tagged crying, screaming, hurt, scared in Behavior & Training

Answers

As a dog trainer and vet tech, I would recommend you take your pup to the vet. She may have picked up a virus from the playmate if she does not have all of her vaccinations yet, or she may have jumped and landed in an awkward position while playing and injured something (small dogs are prone to knee injuries). Watch her closely for vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy (total lack of energy). If she has a clean bill of health then try and avoid giving her any sort of attention for the crying, ignore her until she stops then give her lots of pets and praise. - I'd consider it a red flag that she's crying when touched.

I am going to have to agree, this does not sound right. And I think you need to get your dog some help. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.