Prong/pinch collars..pros and cons? Anyone ever experience injury to dog from it????

I am wondering if any one has any good or bad input on pinch collars? I have a boxer that I am trainging and his attention is nonexistent...am getting mixed information from people...some say use the pinch collar some say dont....input????

Asked by Member 769172 on Nov 17th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

The pinch and prong collar are the same thing. If used properly, they do not hurt the dog. The first poster said that if you put it around your arm it would hurt, and yes, this is correct, if you pulled hard enough. However, these dog not hurt dogs! Dogs have thicker skin than humans do, so naturally the pulling feeling is going to feel different between a human and a dog. If you use the collar properly, you know that you don't just yank hard on the dog's neck, which you should never need to do anyways. The prong collar is designed to assist the handler in gaining the ultimate control of your dog. The prongs are designed to act as a 'bite' in the dog's neck, which is what dogs actually respond to, as other dogs bite one another to let them know of unwanted behaviors. We, as humans, often forget that. It should never be used unless you have the leash attached and you personally are training or walking your dog. It should never be used as a collar, or to tie your dog up to anything with. They are not meant to be left on your dog without supervision. If you know how to properly use one, they work very well, as the second poster mentioned. If you have never used one before, it would be beneficial to consult someone who has so that they can show you how to properly use the collar and to make sure that your dog really does need this training tool.

Sergeant answered on Nov 17th.

Answers

Starbutt

A prong collar is a collar that has prongs on it, it pushes into the dogs neck but if the dog is strong enough it can break the collar apart, My english bull dog did this. She did not injur herself but I would not put a dog on a chain with a prong collar on it, it is possible the collar CAN do bodily injury. The collar is to CONTROL the animal it is metal and it causes pain as the dog pulls..
The pinch collar is what it says it is rubber that pinches the dog I have no expierance in that one.
Go to the pet store and put a prong collar around your arm and see when you tighten it if it hurts, this is what the dog feels, then take a pinch collar and see how it feels. Me? I think a choker colar is best make sure you see a "P" when you put it on (so the chain will release) the dog put it close up on the neck wear the ears are and you have control.
A prong collar IS NOT for a novice. Don't put a choker on a dog on a chain. it will die it can break it's neck maybe.

Starbutt answered on 11/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Darwin

A pinch and prong collar are the same. Just a different name. I have used them in the past for a Rott and my Rott mix. If used properly they are safe and offer great results to those who use them for training and walking. I agree that a dog should never where one attatched to a tie out, or unsupervised. They do not dig in and do not pinch, they exert even pressure around the neck and unlike a choke chain they have a much more controlled release and dogs don't get the trachea injuries seen with the choke chains.
But I now use the head halters or Halti harness. These are GREAT. They fit like a horse halter and the dogs head turns as they pull. I have trained 4 dogs with these who now only need a buckle collar. They do not injure and are self teaching. they are way cool.

Darwin answered on 11/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Prong collars are one device in a long line of training devices ranging from a flat collar to a head halter to a body harness to a choke chain.

All of these devices work, if they are used on the right dog and by someone who knows how to use them correctly.

Used on the wrong dog, or by someone who does not know how to use them properly, they can injure the dog and seriously hurt your relationship with the dog you are training.

I have and do use a prong collar for training. I also have and have used various types of choke (metal and nylon), martingales, head halters, and a variety of flat collars. It depends on the dog and what needs to be worked on.

Regarding your Boxer, I don't think the prong will be your solution. The prong can help you control the dog but will not help you keep his attention. I think you would be best suited using treats and/or toys for motivation and keeping sessions really short. You need to build attention, primarily, not correct the dog.

While I'm sure they have their place in training stubborn dogs I have yet to see it.

The problem with these is that while they work properly in the gentle hands most people are clueless on how to use them and can cause serious harm to any dog they're used on.

As a pet parent to two very stubborn boxers I urge you to call in a professional dog trainer. You can try all you want, but if you're searching for a light switch you're never going to find it w/o the right guidance.