CELESTE

Pregnant Maltese. Signs and answers for whelping.

Hello, I have a pregnant Maltese. She would be 60 days pregnant from the first breeding. She has just recently been starting to dig and nest in a few different places. And in the last few days she has been starting to leak a little bit of milk. And today she's not eating her food. I have been taking her temperature the last few days and it was first 100.4 degrees, then 100.4 degrees again, then went to 100.3 degrees, then this morning it was 100.2 degrees, and just a little bit ago it was 100.6 degrees. Does that mean anything at all? I know it supposed to drob down right before labor, but I heard it climbs high then drops down. Also, if she is caring one pup underneath her rib cage, would I be able to feel it at all? And what does unborn puppies feel like in a small pregnant dogs tummy? Thank you so much for any help!!!

Asked by CELESTE on Oct 31st 2008 in Puppies

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

If she is digging, she is definitely looking for a place to whelp. You should have a place for her, I used a room in my house that wasn't used much. Google " canine labor" ...you will find a lot of info that you are going to need to know. It is just too much to answer here. You need to do this ASAP and get prepared. Good Luck...feel free to pawmail with any questions.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 10/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadie

I don't have an answer but good luck!! How Exciting, if we lived closer I would be asking if I could purchase one. Please let us know how it goes. That must be exciting. I hope all will go well!! If she runs into any problems make sure to get her to a Vet asap. It's not too good since it is a Friday so be prepared to find an emergency vet just in case anything were to go wrong. I will keep my fingers crossed all will go well!!! :)

Sadie answered on 10/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

That small of a change in temperature doesn't really mean anything, no. You should, however, be watching her closely, especially since she is a small breed. Small breeds can tend to have complications because their birthing canals are not large enough for some puppies to fit through. Please find an emergency vet that you can go to if something happens. You should know this beforehand so you aren't looking when it's too late. Not all vets will be open, and should she have complications, you need to make sure she is going to be taken care of. Did you make a whelping box for her yet? You should do so, and make sure that it is in a quiet room - try to find a spot where there won't be a draft going so the puppies can stay warmer. All I can say is best of luck to you. I can't tell you how much it upsets me seeing people asking these types of questions when their dog is to have puppies in a matter of days - these are things you should have been finding out BEFORE YOU BRED YOUR DOG.

Your vet will be able to give you these answers...I would hope you have one monitoring your dog's pregnancy!
There is a lot of info. here to look at & consider!
www.woodhavenlabs.com

Sounds like it won't be long.
Here's an extremely helpful article:
www.chelsea