cherokee

potty training my weiner dog

i got my lil weiner dog for my bday so i read online about the breed and it said they are hard to potty train. i thought well it cant be harder than a noraml puppy but i was wrong. i have had her for bout 7 months and she still isnt potty trained. she just will not go to the door. plz help me

Asked by cherokee on Mar 24th 2010 in Housebreaking

Answers

I specifically discuss the door problem in what I posted at www.dogster.com

most dogs won't go to the door it is up to us to take them out every hour. Also might have to use a crate for when you can not watch her every second.
It takes months for some dogs indeed.
Be more consistant.

That breed is pretty smart
Clean your carpets too to get rid of the odors.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund

I recommend Aster's guide. It's very easy to follow and sound advice for training any dog.

By the way, I've had doxies and I don't agree that they're difficult at all to train.

In fact, I don't believe ANY dog is difficult to train based on breed. I think that's something that people who don't know how to housetrain dogs say a lot, though, so take that with a grain of salt! :-)

If you're patient and consistent, follow Aster's guide and use positive reinforcement (and you make sure everyone else in your home who helps train her does the same) then I think you can have her housetrained in just a few weeks.

I was told that toy poodles are almost impossible to train. I have lots of puppies in and out of my house since I breed and show them, so I don't get all crazy with housebreaking. But, my dogs ARE confined to either one small room or their crates if I am not right there watching them. When I am with them, they are put out about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours until they are old enough to wait longer. They are crated at night. If I find a puddle or a mess, I know I didn't get them out soon enough.
By the time they are 6 months old, all my puppies are able to be trusted in the house and have learned to run to the door if they have to go before the "normal" 2 hours between outs, after using this system from about 10 weeks of age on.

Misty (Rest In Peace)

First you have to invest in a crate. The theory is a dog will not go to the bathroom where it eats and sleep. Most dogs like a "cave"-like place to chill out. Second, you must be consistent at all times. She should be crated during the day and taken outside every hour. When she goes, praise her lavishly. Also use a command. I use "hurry up". Stand still especially near where you want her to pee consistently (like near a tree in the yard). Stand there saying "hurry up" over and over again. I also use a command every time, I see behavior (restlessness) like my doxie wants to go outside. I say, "need tee-tee?" and then let her out. Once she is out I give the command "hurry up". I used this with my pug. She consistently went to the bathroom in a specific area and left the rest of the yard alone. This was very convenient when we traveled. She would immediately start to go when she heard "hurry up" (like Pavlov's dog). The doxie picked up the command as well. Do not deviate

Misty (Rest In Peace) answered on 5/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer