Jaida

Possible abscess growing above the paw pad on my baby girl's back leg...has been drained or lanced twice

Hi. Two days before Christmas, my dog, Jaida, developed this strange squishy lump above the largest part of her paw pad on her back leg; so basically, the lump is on the leg, not so much the paw pad. Two weeks ago, she started amoxicillin and had the area lanced, or drained, by our vet. About a week later, it looked great. Then, out of nowhere, it got large, swollen, and inflamed again. The doctor did a biopsy just to rule out cancer; and thank God, the results came back negative. I am pretty concerned though because she just had it lanced, or drained, again last night for a second time and her doctor is saying that if it returns, he may want to surgically remove the area. I'm not sure if that's too drastic or extreme. She's 11 and is a pitbull, so anything like this makes me nervous. The dr is convinced it's an abscess as she has a few other small abscesses in between her actual paw pad. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do--especially to avoid another surgery seeing that she just had one this past Sept. for a torn cruciate ligament!! :( I just want my baby girl back to her normal, happy self! Thanks so much!

Asked by Jaida on Jan 15th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would get a second opinion from another vet. Maybe she wasn't on the antibiotic long enough, or maybe it wasn't the right antibiotic. Good Luck!

Hi Jaida :-)

I'm not sure where you live, but have you ever used complimentary medicine with your animal companion? Also, when the area was lanced, did the doctor culture it to determine an actual infectious process going on?

Amy