Pork Skin vs. Rawhide

I was given a Scott Pet Pork Chomps pork skin treat for my dog as a gift. Im always very hesitant to give my dog any sort of skin products. Not just for choking/i.t. blockage reasons, but I'd rather just give her better items than that. Throwing some Wellness Bites into a puzzle toy or a bully stick usually works better. That said, my dog is great about biting off pieces of anything we give her, so I generally trust her. And bully sticks and toys only last so long with her; sometimes, I just want her occupied while I'm busy.

That aside, this product says that pork skin, as opposed to raw hide, is found to be 95% digestible, and it looks like it wont splinter/allow to be swallowed in too big of pieces. I never trust packaging on human or non-human-animal foods though, so I was wondering if you have read anything concerning the merits/pitfalls of these products.

Asked by Member 903549 on Jan 8th 2010 in Treats

Answers

The 95% digestible means if well chewed. You would do well to extend your caution to it too. You dog can tear off a dangerous large piece or gnaw it down to one. Some of my Christmas gifts are going to the thrift store. I would send the pork skin to the land fill.

Keep up the Wellness treats in the puzzle ball. You can also fill a Kong with peanut butter and freeze it.

We never get raw hide or any of that kind of "treat". Too much of a choking hazard. Plus some of the brands are just junk.
My dogs love to chew on antlers. You can buy different sizes. I watch them and throw them out when they get too small and could become lodged in the dogs' throats.
If you can't find them locally you can find them online.

I don't recommend them usually if anyone gives a gift that i am uncomfortable feeding then it gets tossed out.
I have learned the hard way yes, these types of chews can be dangerous and a choke hazzard.
I think you are a great dog parent for asking the question.
I only buy kongs for several years now. They last a long time and they get tossed with useage. good luck.
If you want to try some neat treats I found that Ziwi peak has jerky that is really good. And then I just found Bravo company with salmon treats and Grandma Lucy's online.