Theodore aka Teddy  **CGC**

Please help me get my puppy to stop biting my clothes....while I'm wearing them

My puppy REALLY likes to go after my clothing--skirts, shirts, etc. WHILE I am wearing them. He latches onto my clothes and pulls. I read that you shouldn't pull back because he thinks its a game, so I've tried a) yelping loudly b) turning my back c) forcibly removing his jaws d) spraying my clothes with bitter apple. Nothing seems to work, and he keeps coming back for more. He is sweet most of the time but when he goes on these clothing-eating rampages, he is like a dog possessed. Help!!! My clothes and I appreciate it!

Asked by Theodore aka Teddy **CGC** on Jul 31st 2008 Tagged clothes, biting, puppy in Chewing

Answers

Jiggs  CGC

Try giving him a toy he likes to play with to divert his attention and praise him when he takes it and stops chewing on you. It more important to praise him then punish him, he'll respond to that better. You can also try speaking with a trainer in your area for clues on what to do.
Good Luck.

Jiggs CGC answered on 7/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dixie

What I have found that works wonders is a squirt gun. When Theodore does something he isn't supposed to do say no firmly then squirt the water at him. He may think its a game a first but he will get the message. It does not hurt them and I have found it to be the most humane thing. It works wonders on our dogs.

Dixie answered on 8/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Once you get him off your article of clothing, don't say anything, just get up and leave the room (so that he can't follow you... closing door if needed). This will take some repetitions but basically what you're trying to teach is that when he plays inappropriately then play time is over, the end, no more attention (remember even negative attention ("NO!", squirting him, etc, is STILL attention). Obviously that sucks for Theodore and he'll want to figure out how to make play time last longer. When he plays nice and doesn't grab your clothes but grabs his toys instead, praise like crazy. He'll get it eventually.