Bentley Roger Bell

Please can anyone help? My neighbor is abusing her dog and no one is stepping in to help!

My neighbor neglects her dog, if she feeds it every 3rd day that is the only human contact the poor pet has. He moans night and day - I've reported it to the spca and neighborhood assoc. but nothing is being done. It's killing me having to listen and watch this dog. Can anyone please help?

Asked by Bentley Roger Bell on Apr 6th 2010 in Animal Welfare

Answers

Call the police and animal control. They have authority to investigate and take the dog from her for it's own safety.

Good luck, this is a horrible.

Call the police and animal control. No one should treat an animal this way. No animal deserves to be treated this way.

I know it seems silly but often reports are not taken seriously unless more than one complaint is made and by more than one person. i would suggest getting another neighbour to make an anonymous complaint also. Unfortunatly if the dog is in ok condition, and its living quarters are in ok condition its not alot animal control can do no matter how terrible the owners are, Unless neglect is proven eg physical abuse, and unlivable conditions.

I would keep reporting it. Call the police, spca, and the other local shelters. Try calling rescue groups. You can google them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Having other people call it in is a good idea. Good Luck!

IF the dog is in good health and weight, there is no way any organization can do anything unless there is proof that this dog is not being fed. Unless you have proof of physical abuse via video or other documented source, then there is not much that can be done. Laws are written to protect our pets, however no law can mandate love and attention, only that the animal is receiving basic food and water and adequate housing and is not being physically harmed.

Call the police! The neglect of an animal in this way is a serious crime and can be punished by law. When you buy a pet you are expected to take care of it or give it up to responsible people if you are not able to do so.

oh how sad.... This makes me so sad....
Why won't the shelter do anything??
Call the police sometimes the police have more power, or in some states like here the shelter does not have police power. They act on some things once you make a police report.
I hope this poor doggie can get a better home soon. I will pray for him

Can you document the abuse -- video- or audiotape the dog? I've found that documented evidence of animal abuse gets a much faster response from Animal Control (your neighborhood association probably has no standing regarding pets on their own property). If the dog is emaciated and crying in distress, get it on video and call the authorities.

I'm so sad for this dog! I prayed for him last night. I dont where you live but I know that in general SPCAs, are way understaffed especially when it comes to enforcement agents going out into the field. I believe there is only about 35 agents for the entire city of NY! Can you imagine how many calls they get? My approach would be to continue to call and report this to the SPCA daily, focusing on the fact that the dog is not fed and is starving to death in front of your eyes. That will priortize the call I think. Also, I would find out who my local community police officer is, if you have one and instead of just calling 911 repeatedly, go to the precinct and speak to that officer and ask for their suggestions. I wish I knew what state you are in. Of coarse, this I dont even have to write I'm sure, because u obviously have a kind heart, but please keep feeding the little guy and talking to him. People really suck sometimes. Good Luck, please post again with results!

Ace

Call a rescue, or some other form or animal police. Something needs to be done for this poor dog. :( Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Ace answered on 4/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sig

Yeah all the other comments are correct. If the dog doesn't look like it's starving then nothing will probably get done. I share your frustration with it because i've delt with it myself. A puppy that lived next door was being kicked and beat by the kids that lived there. We called the shelter and because the pup "appeared ok" it wasn't rescued. I don't reccomend this approach but my sis and I snuck over there and took the puppy. We re-homed it ourselves. You should try and get more people to complain in your neighborhood. Maybe then they will pay attention. Ufortionately not paying attention to your dog is not against the law. If it looks well fed they'll do nothing.

Sig answered on 4/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Tegan

Animal Care and Control is your best friend at a time like this. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and I call them all the time to report abuse and neglect cases. They give me a case number at the end of the call and I always call back the next day to see what was done. Almost every time, the dog in question was removed from the property. If it was just a "simple" case of the dog not having fresh water or shelter, the owners were fined.

As far as I know, there is an Animal Care and Control in every city. And the officers do have full police powers.

Tegan answered on 4/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Macy

I had a friend whos neighbors were beating their dog and rarely feeding it. She continuously reported it to the humane society and they never did anything. She had to listen to them hitting and kicking this dog for weeks. Finally she got a video recorder and recorded several sessions of them beating this dog, and it showed the conditions of the back yard. She took this to the humane society and made them watch and then they finally did something about it. Perhaps it will make them take action if you show them visual of whats happening to the dog.

Macy answered on 4/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Spike

You need to post signs all in your neighbohood, and tell as many people as you can, if there are alot of people in with helping this dog, then they have nothing to do but respond to this abuse.
I feel sorry for that poor dog!!! <C

Spike answered on 6/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joey

call the police? if she is life threatening the dog, the police must take it away from her.

Joey answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer