Placed pup owner called singing pup's praise only to call 8 hours later demanding refund, says pup bit (?) neighbor...

I do guarantee my pups but other than one new owner who called destraught 5 days later wanting to return pup because she found A FLEA never had even a question as to a pups soundness. Back to this owner...I will be glad to get pup back... I obviously should have paid more attention to my gut. But having spent hours with interview, answering numerous questions and travel prior to placement and now more time to get pup back home... I do NOT think owner is due a full refund..... do you think I am out of line to be compensated for my time and aggrivation?

Asked by Member 844399 on Jul 21st 2009 in The Adoption Process

Answers

That owner is being pretty unreasonable, but I can understand why you want the puppy back.
I'm not sure of all the legal things here (and it may depend upon what was written in your contract as well), but as biting is usually a normal playful puppy behavior and the pup having a flea is not really your fault (sheesh, does she think health testing keeps fleas away?), I tenatively agree that she is not due a full refund.

What kind of guarantee do you have? Just asking, as a health guarantee that lasts only a few months is pretty useless, since health problems that have to do with a dog's genes sometimes don't show up until their senior years.
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

I can't imagine a young puppy really biting anybody unless mistreated.

On another site I read about a UK movement to require training for dog owners. Sounds like she needs it.

I hope you have a better home lined up.

Refund? Let her pay something for her stupidity.

You might want to pay the full price to get that pup back. The person who bought him/her sounds a bit unreasonable and you should just give a full refund and have the dog back in a safe environment. Sounds as if the person doesn't understand that puppies bite.
I hope you find a much better home for the pup.

K-10 Von Canein

I believe a breeder's responsibility does not end at the sale of a puppy. It ends at the end of that dog's life. A breeder should allways be happy to take a pup back and give a refund, or take a full grown dog back in most cases. If you are breeding to make money, then you are doing it for the wrong reason. If you are a reputable breeder, you will do anything to place that pup in a good home. It makes me happy that you will be glad to get the pup back! As far as compensation, it really depends on your contract and policies discussed and signed with the customer prior to purchase. It isn't worth the hastle in a courtroom and spending all the time on paper work etc. I somehow know you will find a good home for the pup, and that is what matters most. Hopefully you will recover most or all of your losses when you re-sell the pup. Next time, follow your gut feelings. You just had a psycho customer this time around.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 7/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer