Quincy - CGC

Pet insurance yes or no?

Pet insurance yes or no? I have been thinking of getting pet insurance for Quincy but my mother says that for the amount that they would be charging me per month ($30+) I could just open a saving account and put the money in there every month.

Asked by Quincy - CGC on Jul 19th 2009 in Pet Insurance

Answers

Toby

Most pet insurance doesn't cover normal things like vaccinations however I do know of a discount insurance plan which is much less than 30.00 a month, does not preclude preexisting conditions. It is 25% off the bill and also has 50% off some foods and things. It is called Pet Assure. petassure.com

Toby answered on 9/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buddy

I just want to tell you that do not with VPI PET INSURANCE SO THEY LIE .. My dog have accident which is little right back leg but i just worry him and take him to vet and send my bill to reclaim to VPI so they deny my bill then i just cancel it yesterday too. NEVER EVER AGAIN BYE BYE VPI .. but i still looking new protector for my baby.

Buddy answered on 3/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petunia

First as a disclaimer, my mom works for Trupanion.

There are lots of great options out there, so it's a matter of finding what is best for your needs.
While a savings account is a nice idea, after 1 year, you would only have $360 and what if Quincy tore an ACL which costs $2,000 or more!

I would recommend to skip wellness/routine coverage because you can plan for these expenses yourself. Plus, insurance companies usually charge a little more so that it is worth it for them to offer this coverage.

Also be sure to know how much is covered! Some companies will pay 70, 80 or 90% of your actual bill. But some companies do not consider the amount of your actual bill at all! Rather, they have a list of conditions and dollar amounts that will be repaid, and often cases these amounts are much lower than what your vet charges.

There is a great comparison chart here: trupan.in

Petunia answered on 1/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Putting $30 per month in a savings account for future issues is a good idea and certainly better than doing nothing, but it does present some problems.

First, can you REALLY be disciplined enough to sock that much away each month and ONLY use it to pay for vet bills?

Second, there are many potential illnesses and injuries that would cost much more than $30 per month to pay for.

Third, if you're mainly worried about paying for the "big bills", you can buy a stripped down plan that only pays for catastrophic (really expensive) events such as accidents. The less your plan covers, the cheaper it will be. The least expensive plan that we've found is under $11 per month.

For more info about all of this along with side-by-side pet insurance reviews, see: www.organic

Hope that helps!

Jeff