Pebbles

Pebbles escaped from her harness and was out in the road. Suggestions on an "escape proof" harness?

Just recently I moved to the country and I had previously lived in an apartment. It was required to always have dogs on a leash, so Pebbles is not used to being outside without a leash.

While I took her out the other day, she somehow escaped from her harness. I'm not sure how she did it. I was letting her do her business and while I was waiting, I noticed the harness no longer on her body..but the harness was fastened together with the leash still intact.

She took full advantage of the situation and ran from me and got into the road. I need to work on her coming to me when called but I still want to know some suggestions on what to do to help ease my mind if this shall ever happen again. I also would like to know harness that would be more hard to escape from. Any advice will be appreciated.

Asked by Pebbles on Aug 26th 2012 Tagged harness, walking, outside in Leash Walking

Answers

Cricket

Most harnesses are nylon and with time they slip and get looser. I find that if it is fitted firmly then you stitch the adjustments so they can't slip loose, the harness will fit fine

Step through harnesses are harder to get out of. Most instructions for harnesses or head collars recommend a collar as well for security.

Cricket answered on 8/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I find the mesh harnesses work the best. They allow you to tighten it enough with out harming your pup or making them uncomfortable. Here is a great one I bought off of Ebay. You can find them anywhere though. www.ebay.com

Remember that you are supposed to fit at least one finger under each part of the harness. Under the neck and under the chest area. Hope this helps :)